Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

the maze

Antelope Canyon is an amazing place, really a photographer's dream. i went there in 2008, and would LOVE to be able to go back again! it's on my list, but i have other places i want to see first before i start in on 'seconds'... ;D the colors are amazing, and the shapes and swirls in the sandstone are truly mind-boggling. the trick is getting a shot without a zillion people in the way!

[Image: TheMaze.jpg]

~ Rocky
Any camera will record what you see, but YOU have to SEE!
Canon 5D & 40D; Canon 100-400L, Tamron SP17-35 and SP24-135
www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Gorgeous. Definitely worth the trip – but I know what you mean about a return; the world is large and time is limited.

Are you allowed to use tripods?
(…it looks like a good place for a heavy ND crowd-removal filter.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

(Mar 10, 2012, 20:14)matthew Wrote:  Gorgeous. Definitely worth the trip – but I know what you mean about a return; the world is large and time is limited.

Are you allowed to use tripods?
(…it looks like a good place for a heavy ND crowd-removal filter.)

thanks!

yes, tripods are definitely permitted - and about the only way to get a good shot in there, because of the dim light! - thoughbut extended tour, you'll get a chance to spend time in the canyon when it's not crowded, and you can get your shots.

~ Rocky

Antelope is definitely high on my list of things to do. I got as close as the south rim of the canyon one time, and then veered off to 4 Corners. Always regretted missing it, but it was winter, and limited time, and blah blah - always an excuse. Still regret missing it.

Wow wow wow, that place must be amazing!

Your capture is fantastic - such gorgeous earthy and rich reds/purples, and the textures and lighting is wonderful!

(Mar 11, 2012, 00:00)Toad Wrote:  Antelope is definitely high on my list of things to do. I got as close as the south rim of the canyon one time, and then veered off to 4 Corners. Always regretted missing it, but it was winter, and limited time, and blah blah - always an excuse. Still regret missing it.

thanks Toad! next time you're in the area, make it a priority... the place is amazing!

(Mar 11, 2012, 05:56)shuttertalk Wrote:  Wow wow wow, that place must be amazing!

Your capture is fantastic - such gorgeous earthy and rich reds/purples, and the textures and lighting is wonderful!

thanks, ST...it really is a special place...

~ Rocky

I love the colors in this. My eye couldn't figure it out at first. The ambiguity is part of the charm.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

(Mar 12, 2012, 09:23)Don Schaeffer Wrote:  I love the colors in this. My eye couldn't figure it out at first. The ambiguity is part of the charm.

yeah, parts of it look almost like interlocking pieces, and it's hard to tell it's not a cave of some sort, but as you say, that's part of the attraction. the incredible shapes in the sandstone, along with the colors, make it an absolute dream for photography, but you can't capture it with a point-n-shoot, you need a tripod and wide-angle lens and long exposures to really do it justice.

~ Rocky