Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Visit to Dover

Shooting into the sun, looking out towards France.
Comments, good or bad appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

I am not the best at critiquing, but I love the subject matter.

I wonder if the upper left hand corner can be lower in brightness? I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology for you...as I love to take photos but have never really had anyone to critique and teach me about my mistakes! :0)

Maybe the correct wording is to tone the brightness down just a smidge in the upper left hand corner and just a little on the lake...just my personal thoughts.

Others will come along and give a shout out as well!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Technically, the image is highlight clipped (aka burnt). It lacks details on it's white areas. I suggest shooting in raw and post-processing in Lightroom or something similar. Other than that, it's simple and clean.
You could also try cropping the upper region.

(Feb 27, 2013, 11:10)Barbara G. Wrote:  I am not the best at critiquing, but I love the subject matter.

I wonder if the upper left hand corner can be lower in brightness? I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology for you...as I love to take photos but have never really had anyone to critique and teach me about my mistakes! :0)

Maybe the correct wording is to tone the brightness down just a smidge in the upper left hand corner and just a little on the lake...just my personal thoughts.

Others will come along and give a shout out as well!
Thank you Barbara. Your comment is valid. I had not noticed that the top left corner was washed out. The "lake" is the English Channel Smile

(Feb 27, 2013, 12:13)vlad Wrote:  Technically, the image is highlight clipped (aka burnt). It lacks details on it's white areas. I suggest shooting in raw and post-processing in Lightroom or something similar. Other than that, it's simple and clean.
You could also try cropping the upper region.

Thanks Vlad.Cropping makes sense. I shall do it.

(Feb 26, 2013, 14:25)tallboy Wrote:  Shooting into the sun, looking out towards France.

I like the photo. It captures the mood of the scene perfectly.
Could you have used a passerby to sit on the bench, or used a time release to sit there yourself - might have added human interest.
I tried cropping the lightpost to focus more on the bench.
Thanks for the opportunity to see your work. I will look forward to more!

(Feb 28, 2013, 11:55)Dave66 Wrote:  
(Feb 26, 2013, 14:25)tallboy Wrote:  Shooting into the sun, looking out towards France.

I like the photo. It captures the mood of the scene perfectly.
Could you have used a passerby to sit on the bench, or used a time release to sit there yourself - might have added human interest.
I tried cropping the lightpost to focus more on the bench.
Thanks for the opportunity to see your work. I will look forward to more!

I cropped the photo like Vlad said and put more mood into it. The white patch was where the sun was shining through, very strongly. Some one on the bench would have been great.

I actually enjoyed the tones in the first version more. I was suggesting cropping out the burnt area, like this.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Mar 2, 2013, 02:35)vlad Wrote:  I actually enjoyed the tones in the first version more. I was suggesting cropping out the burnt area, like this.

Nice one Vlad. Your right, it will look better with the previous tones

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Sep 28, 2016, 16:50
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Aug 4, 2015, 06:27