Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Motocross at Beverley

Hey guys,

Long time, no posting... but.. well.. that's the way it goes sometimes I guess. Glad to still see things ticking over.

Looking at the types of photos that are generally posted here, I thought posting some motocross photos would add something a bit different to the mix. Smile
I took these photos on Sunday at the MX track at Beverley (a small town about 130km east of Perth). I was actually there competing for the first time in motocross. I took along my 5D2 and had enough time between rounds to sit near the finish line and shoot a couple of friends who were competing in a different class to me.
As far as my racing went, I think I should stick with photography! Big Grin I was predictably stuck at the back of my class. No surprises considering it was my first time. I wasn't there to be competitive, just to have fun and get an idea of what to expect on a track with other riders. I had a fantastic time, finished with both me and my bike in one piece and improved my lap times as the day went on. So it was a great success.

[Image: 700787460_kKyWR-X1-2.jpg]

[Image: 700787155_SfQSC-X1-2.jpg]

[Image: 700787751_qG8uf-X1-2.jpg]

[Image: 700789233_eGxZH-X1-2.jpg]

It was so dusty that they had to cancel the final round of races. While the dust wasn't much fun to ride through when you were behind another rider, it did make for some good photos. All shot with a 5D2 and EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Brilliant set, Adrian. Refreshing images. Thank you!

Great shots Adrian.

I tried my hand at Motocross a few times back in the late 80's and early 90's. My golf swing still suffers because of it! I always seemed to place in the last few places but did have a great time doing it. The bikes have come a long way from my days of runnig a Suzuki 250 RM.
I haven't tried my hand at shooting motocross, these make me want to try.

I like #2 the most I think, because of the motion blur and it doesn't feel static.

Number 2 is a very strong image - glad you are still in one piece for the 14th!

Canon stuff.

Thanks guys Smile

Hey that's cool you used to ride a Suzuki RM 250 Craig. I'm riding a 2008 RM 125!
You're right that the bikes have come a long way, but it's sad to watch the slow death of the 2-stroke. Around 90% of the bikes at Beverley were 4-strokes, and 2-strokes will only become rarer with time.

Adrian Broughton

Don't know about now, but back then Suzuki 2 strokes had the best raw power for their size and the best suspension by far.

I think the playing field is probably a bit more even between the brands these days Craig.
At the moment it seems Yamaha have a slight edge in terms of overall power but their suspension isn't great, while Hondas handle the best but are down on power. Suzuki meanwhile almost matches the Yamaha for power and the Honda for handling, making it the best well-rounded package according to many. I'm still pretty green when it comes to dirt bikes, so I'm just repeating the general opinions I've heard and read.

My RM125 has >45hp and weighs in at 87kg. That's plenty enough power to spit a beginner like me off when I don't get things right, but isn't rediculous power like my 954 Fireblade. I'm trying my hand at dirt bikes for fun and fitness, but also to help improve my road bike skills. This seems like a great bike for me to learn on.

Here's a pic Tina took of me and the bike on Sunday.
[Image: 700790061_mYuaS-M-2.jpg]

Adrian Broughton

I think that is more power than my 250 was producing back then, don't remember exactly.

I've always loved Yamaha road bikes, but they have always been behind the curve in terms of Dirt Bike suspension. My last Road bike was a Kawazaki ZZR 1100. Haven't ridden anything in a few years now. My bike funds seem to of gone on Golf and Photography!

Always amazing detail, light and color in your stuff. All amazing captures - with #3 being the standout IMO. The shot of the toddler on the bike is priceless.

#2. SPOT ON!!! In all aspects.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Amazing photos Adrian. You really get a sense of action, risk and the dust is visually powerful in its own right.

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

The dust was amazing that day.
Despite watering the track down with sprinklers between rounds, the organisers ended up cancelling the final round of the day because it was too dusty for the riders to see when they were going when riding in a pack.
But it definately made for good photos. Big Grin

Adrian Broughton

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Tony Britton
Jun 14, 2016, 06:14
Last Post by dewy
Jun 1, 2005, 06:01
Last Post by Polly
Sep 5, 2004, 00:11