Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Something different....

and something I worked for many weeks few months ago... I know it is everybody's taste but I love to work with distortions... maybe I should buy me a kaleidoscope instead... Wink

These are all pictures taken through different glass... with irregular glass mainly to get distortions. I worked a series of 15 more or less... and somehow they were not the success I expected... actually I received mails telling if I was doing well... and what was going on with my photography... my family said... Sorry, Irma/Mami I don't understand what you are doing here...

Disappointed by the response... I let my pictures sleep for a while... now that I have finished all my work with other pictures, I decided to get me a glass of wine and review my pictures and dare even more with colors and contrast...

I don't post them in my belove critique forum... because they are as they are... but any comment or review about the whole idea it is as always very much appreciated...

[Image: IMG_3709-Edit-2.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3725-Edit-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3759-Edit.jpg]

and #4 Happy Couple....
[Image: IMG_3836-Edit.jpg]

Thanks for looking at my work... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Reminds me of Salvador Dali - especially the last one. Just needs a clock face and some ants Smile

Canon stuff.

There was a record album release in about 1970 called "12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" by Spirit - and one of the memorable things about that album was the cover and liner art which was done using just the sort of techniques that you are using here. It is a really compelling thing to look at.

I really love #1 - as you probably knew I would. The colors are fantastic with the mauvey taupe perfectly contrasting with the smoky blue. The distortions really speak out loud in this one. A tour de force.

#4 is whimsical and a lovely piece. Chris is right - it is very Dali-esque.

I can't help but feel that #2 and #3 would have benefited from a sharper focus. #3 gets away with the softness better - because the forms are distinct, but #2 (even though pleasing in form and color) leaves me wanting to see more detail in the large light piece. I can't help but wonder how these would look with a razor sharp focus as in #1.

Apologies for being critical (especially when this is not the Critiques forum). I love seeing new and interesting techniques - and I love to watch people try things just to see what works. Its a breath of fresh air.

Thanks Chris, Toad for your comment ... Smile

Chris some people have referred these pictures to Dali's work... it is a pity I don't know much about him and his art... Maybe it is time to read about him... Wink

No Apologies, Toad, at the contrary, thanks for your review.... I appreciate it a lot! Smile

One of the difficulties in this technique, apart from the setup, where I have to shade the glass from reflections has been to get my subjects sharp. The idea of posting specially these pictures from the series is because I wanted to show all different posibilities, that I've got so far ...

It seems to me that 50mm or 85mm lens make the best pictures but also I have to crop a lot... I also see that concentrating my focus in only one subject makes the picture sharpper...

I have to experiment a lot more, I think... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Absolutely rivetting; very exciting. My guess is that once one uses the "distortion" idea to make a comment about "truth", society, media manipulation, or a host of other things, then the idea of distorting a commonplace scene or subject could have a resonance and added significance...I'm just musing here.
These are really nice.
And Toad...was that Randy California in Spirit..?...Canadian band, yes?...

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Zig Wrote:And Toad...was that Randy California in Spirit..?...Canadian band, yes?...
The late Randy California, yes... American band though.

Very interesting concept - I really like it. I think you should do a full series and I could definitely see them on display in a gallery or exhibition or something. Well done Irma - very inspiring. Big Grin

Thanks Zig, Jules for your comments.... Smile

Zig, I like your idea about distortion... inspires me to think more about the message to give... Smile

Jules, I still have more and I would love to show them... I will post more soon... Very kind of you to say that they are worth to show in prints... I want to make some large prints to see how these distortions look in paper.... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Another creative works... You are amazing; always show us or bring us this thought; "there is always something to do"... at least for me! I loved them all dear Irma, my favurite number 1 and 4! Well done, thank you,

with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams