Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Roche Abbey

This place is near Blyth(the Yorkshire one, for UK members) and is just about in South Yorkshire. It's a ruined 12th century monastery, with later additions around the peripheries by that great demolisher of humble peasant dwellings, Capability Brown.
I took a few at the weekend but won't hog the space here: I actually went out with just the 50mm f1.4 and the Tamron 90mm(of course immediately seeing a myriad of opportunities for wideangles!).
This is with the 50mm at f5.

[Image: 921webframed.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Outstanding, Zig!

So beautiful... and you did so artistic this photograph, I loved it. Thank you Zig,

Blessing and Happiness,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Once I read that to be successful with a 50mm lens image you have to have a strong composition and interesting subject.

You succeed here Zig. Beautiful details, and the pp goes great with the subject too.. Smile

Did you work some details of the building?

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

It looks very effective.
I will have to visit.
Have you altered the perspective (parallax)?
Not a critiscism, just curious.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Lovely work Zig.

Canon stuff.

Thank you boys'n'girls: ahyess nt: it can't be too far away from you...and some really moody shots around the old pits too; actually some nice stuff along the canals and all.
Irma and nt: nope., all is as it was, with just the merest hint of smart sharpen as I down-rezzed for web. No correction of any lines: I assure you that some of the walls aren't straight.
In summary here's my workflow:
I was cold, so I shot handheld at 1/60s, merely checking that the aperture wasn't going to give me anything I didn't want, depth of field-wise: I was happy with f.5, as I wanted the crisp side-lit lines to emerge strongly.
I used a polariser, as I wanted to darken the sky(I was looking at it in "IR/mono mode" as I shot, working out what would work best: saves me much work later on!)...but I knew that I had to still be careful of retaining detail later, given the contrasty conditions and the added contrast of the polariser.
My pp was as usual: raw conversion at low contrast..and I confess I am greatly helped by the 1DsMk2's sensor here, as it retains a couple of stops more detail than my old 350D did.
With the resultant 48-bit tiff(ouch: 96MB!) I worked in RGB instead of my usual CMYK that I prefer for mono work: after cropping to a stronger square format I dodged and burned here and there, did another layer in which I EQ'd highlights and mids;
I flattened, then lowered the saturation and layered in a grey tint.
Then I did my usual time-saver of flattening to 8-bit, using my free ragged-edge plug for the edges, increased canvas-size, then dabbed my sig on with a brush set I'd made for "signing" my work.
Just another thought: if I had another go, I would have shot it at f1.4, as I'd have both a lovely vignette AND that softening of highlights that looks so like halation that used to happen with film(remember that?!)

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

NIce finish on this photo.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Zig Wrote:Irma and nt: nope., all is as it was, with just the merest hint of smart sharpen as I down-rezzed for web. No correction of any lines: I assure you that some of the walls aren't straight.
Sorry Zig, I didn't write my question properly... Rolleyes

What I wanted to ask was that if you took more pictures of the building, thinking about some details of the pillars or arcs... The building looks like a treasure for that kind of pictures. ... Smile

About the straight walls... I can understand well that... Some buildings here are the same...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Hi Zig, I've just visited your web site, and how nice music is great too in your life, I wish to listen but I couldn't find on your web how to listen. Maybe it is because of my pc, I am not sure, I would like to know better if you can,

Have a nice and enjoyable day,
with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

Wonderful picture Zig - love the post processing. Very moody and suits the image well.

Your photo inspired me to look up Roche Abbey on wikipedia... did you know Robin Hood supposedly went to mass there?? Big Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roche_Abbey

Thanks for sharing!

shuttertalk Wrote:Wonderful picture Zig - love the post processing. Very moody and suits the image well.

Your photo inspired me to look up Roche Abbey on wikipedia... did you know Robin Hood supposedly went to mass there?? Big Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roche_Abbey

Thanks for sharing!
Thank you Julian, I visited now too, Wow! I wish to visit Roche Abbey one day Smile

Thank you once again Zig,

with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Jul 1, 2017, 16:37
Last Post by Plantsman
Nov 1, 2014, 03:38