Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Off Camera Flash Portrait

After putting the camera down for a while I've found some new inspiration in experimenting with off camera flash.
I bought some cheap ebay wireless triggers (Yongnuo RF-602) and started to really enjoy the new found control of light.

Here's an example taken using a Canon 580EXII in a Westcott 28" softbox taken outside with dark clouds as the background.
Canon 50D, 50mm 1.8

I’m still new to using off camera flash techniques so all comments and suggestions are welcome. Feel free to give honest feedback or critique (good or bad).

[Image: IMG_0378-edit.jpg]

Having only one light has its limitations so I'm keen to buy some more but the Canon gear is so expensive that I'm considering buying a couple of cheap flashes on ebay...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

very pleasing

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Very nice portrait.

Canon stuff.

Lonf time - so see. I like it. The light looks very professional yet very natural looking.

It is a lovely photo although I prefer to see all the face.
The more I look at it, the more I see the young ladies face, as a cut and paste.
Maybe it is the sharp line of her chin and cheeks, or maybe just me. :/
Still, it is better than any of mine so far. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks for your comments. I know what you mean about the 'cut and paste' appearance of her face, I had the same thought as I did the post processing.

Has anyone used any of the cheap Ebay / Yongnuo flashes for off camera work?

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Toad - I know it's been a long time between posts. My photography activity seems to peak when I'm on annual leave!

Another recent experiment:

[Image: 4526118372.jpg]

Hand held flash with an attached bounce card. Mirrored symmetry in post processing.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

I like it!

Neat: the dawg pic is a belter!
Maybe the "c+p" appearance of the girl's jawline was merely a smart-sharpening thang, or similar? I'm sure if it needed to be fixed, a dab of blur tool would do. I for one can't really see that there's a problem with this shot at all.
I know several, er, flashers, who have purposefully gone to using old, cheap flashes either because they don't trust the TTLs with some Canon cameras or just because with full manual control they have, er, full manual control! Sunpak et al also can be obtained for very small sums indeed. Am not recommending this purposefully, but I use a cheap desklamp and maybe a white card, as nowadays with digital much can be done with compression or EQ-ing of dynamic range: coward's way out, yes, but works for me and is another tool to consider as a means to the end.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
May 23, 2016, 07:12