Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Prague Castle

When I visited Prague, I had the idea of making little series of subjects or showing a building in a sequence of pictures to show the whole buildings and then details that were interesting to me. About my post processing. I worked my colors in different way for each series, I followed my feelings for each place. They are very post processed. I did a lot with them and yes, in some cases they look very much as HDRs... I also followed my feelings here... Wink

As I commented the other day, we were so many visiting Prague that day, that it was impossible to take pictures without people!! I tried not to cut so many feet and use people in my composition... So, let's see how you see them.

[Image: IMG_9093-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9095-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9100-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9103-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9104-Edit.jpg]

Thanks for looking... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Its an interesting experiment which I think worked with varying degrees of success.

#1 is the weakest IMO. My eye wanders about but doesn't really light on anything. I like people in a photo if the people are interesting, and nobody catches my eye in #1.

#2 is a different kettle of fish. The fellow in the red hat is interesting as is the woman in the orange skirt. I also like the fact that both the guard and the woman posing beside him have sunglasses. A little crop might find some fascinating details in this one to zoom in on. The group of 4 people and the guardhouse on the right might be stronger if isolated from the group on the left and visa versa.

#3 suffers a bit from the same problem as #1. There are not enough interesting people in it.

The 2 statue photos show the details of the palace very nicely sans people.

Its an interesting concept, Irma that might be developed further. My advice is to treat the people as your subject with the palace as the backdrop. Looking at it that way might help you to identify the golden moments.

Thanks so much Toad for your comment. Always so appreciated.

I took a lot of picture of the guard, and this was the best. I will remember your comment about people in my pictures. I really didn't think about them like that. I
just saw them as a subject more in my composition but not to add interest to my picture.

I know what you mean with the golden moment.. there were two or three that got just by chance, I will show them later... Smile

Paul Cezanne

This looks like a very interesting place to wander around quietly with a camera… I like #2 in particular.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

You are right Matthew, and I think that the best time is very early in the morning when tourist are still sleeping... and I have to say that I thought about you when I saw a lot of very interesting buildings as I know how much you like architecture photography.

Paul Cezanne

Lovely set: you managed to pack a lot in within such a short trip!
You mention crowds of people: I'm aware that a "workaround" for this phenomenon is getting a very strong ND filter, narrowing down to f11 or so, or further, obviously with a tripod.
I know my camera can give me ISO 50...I don't know about the 5D.
I say this, as a colleague recently bought a x10(!) Neutral Density filter just for the purpose of photographing cityscapes.
I am assured that the results look somewhat post-apocalyptic! Smile
Thus, to register people as a blur...or even to annihilate them altogether..= low ISO + smaller aperture + tripod + ND filter

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Thanks so much Zig for your comment and advice... Smile

Excellent idea!! I will keep this in mind next time I go to the city. Now I have something to look forward to... Wink

I have a Hoya ND8 I am sure this will do. 5D also can give ISO 50. I have used my filter as well with my G9 just in front of the lens and give really nice long exposures.

Paul Cezanne

Hello Irma. I think you got very good advice both from Robert and Shaun. I would also suggest visiting some of the smaller towns which often have similar architecture but with lesser crowds. I love small bohemian towns particularly in the south (Telc, Slavonice, Cervena Lhota, Krumlov) or Sumava in the south west. Beautiful scenery (landscape) is also found in the area of Czech Paradise (see some of my posts, although I am not done yet). Many of the places I visited had few tourists. In Prague also, there are many quiet pretty spots that are not so touristy.

The set you took of the Castle is difficult I think because of the crowds and any wide photo turns instantly into something that looks like (although it may not be) a snapshot. It would require a lot to get around that. Looking at people and smaller isolated detail works better for me, as it is much less ambitious.

Hopefully we will have an opportunity to see more in CR together at some point in the future.

P

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Sorry Pavel, I didn't see your comment before... Sad

I have seen your pictures of those little towns you comment, and they are beautiful.

Thanks for your thoughts about my pictures. I also hope we can meet again in the future, and take pictures together... Wink

Paul Cezanne

I love these. HDR type processing is really fun.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

You are right Don. I enjoyed a lot doing this series.

Thanks for your comment... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrB
Dec 16, 2015, 12:38