Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Crow with a Shiny...

[Image: Crow%20with%20a%20Shiny.jpg]

Panasonic GF-1 with 50mm Nikkor-H F2.0. 1/4000 sec approx F5.6 Manual Focus

There has been a lot of chatter here lately about the use of legacy manual focus lenses on m43 bodies and this shot is a pretty good example of why you might do it. I am impressed by the level of detail that this old glass managed to capture when used in combo with the GF-1.

For those of you interested in such things, here is the "before" shot..

[Image: Crow%20on%20the%20Water.jpg]

Wow, good detail for a crop...

Manual too...nice.
Was this straight to jpeg, Rob?

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

The "before" picture is as lightly modified as is possible - just jpeg'd and signed. The crop is also very lightly modified (for me anyway). Slight changes to levels and a couple of stylistic things - but no sharpening or detail enhancement.

A valid question here might be: "Toad, why did you post this shot?"

First - I actually like the crop - the crow is the prince of birds - and I think this really captures the essence of what I like about crows - their intelligence and single-mindedness of purpose.

Second - as you all know. I have been wrestling with the idea of mounting *big* lenses on the my small camera because that completely goes against why I bought a small camera in the first place. While I am still not convinced that manual focus primes are the way to go (a bit backwards not having auto-focus, eh?), I am intrigued by what I can pull from a small piece of the frame when using a sharp lens. I post-process everything that I publish and everything is cropped. If I can get detail like the cropped crow shot here out of a small bit of frame, I know that I can enlarge that via software to any size that I need. My stuff has never depended on raw resolution because as a rule, it isn't very naturalistic. Highly stylized pieces withstand enlargement far better than realistic representations.

I am heartened by the proof that I can use small lenses and still capture incredible detail. I mean - you can actually see the glint in the crow's eye without sharpening. I can live with that.

Toad, why did you post this shot?

:|

Pah!

Big Grin

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Great grab there Toad! Fantastic job considering it was manually-focused (I assume pre-focused).
I really like Crows too, and that shot is a remarkable insight into their behaviour.

And you really can't complain about the performance of the lens. That crop has fantastic detail, and you perfectly demonstrate how good technique can reduce your reliance on equipment. You really can shoot birds in flight without needing awesome AF abilities or long lenses. And you get more satisfaction when you nail a shot.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Thanks Kombi - I have to confess the spot-on focus was as much luck as skill...

Great timing Toad. This is so classic... I love to see them carrying things in their peak but I have to admit that I don't normally see them carrying shinny things.

I admire the light to get detail in the dark bird also. You don't normally get detail like that.

Thanks for sharing... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by kNox
Aug 18, 2014, 06:06
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Mar 7, 2013, 18:12