Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cherry and blueberries (color & BW)

I have been a bit out of Shuttertalk as I have been busy with pictures... Smile I bought some cherries and berries and I have taken a series of all, different situations, different treatments. I also challenge myself to work most of my pictures with natural light. I am happy with the outcome!!

Here is the first one. Working my color post processing, I desaturated the cherry picture and I loved it! So I post both versions. The same goes for the blueberries. I have to tell that my light comes from above as I have window in the ceiling. I am learning and trying to find out how to make good use of the light... I wanted to have a cherry picture with a leaf. None of the cherries I bought had a leaf so I added the leaf from somewhere else. Wink

[Image: IMG_0221-Edit.jpg] [Image: IMG_0233-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0221-Edit-Edit.jpg] [Image: IMG_0233-Edit-Edit.jpg]
Thanks for looking... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Beautiful... both the colour and B/W versions. Big Grin

The textures come out really well, especially on the blueberries (parchment /wizened skin) comes to mind.
The leaf looks wrong and yet it adds to end result. Maybe a different shade of leaf.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

The color blueberries work for me, and the lighting on the cherry is very fine. The B&W cherry looks like an apple to me. Big Grin

Thanks a lot for your comments... Smile

NT, I will try with a darker color, I think that is the color of the real leaves.... Wink

Toad, I never saw an apple in the B&W version, but you are right!! Smile

Paul Cezanne

I really like the coloured ones...they seem to convey both freshness and age a bit more fully...

What colour is the background?
I ask this, as I was wondering if adding filters would have any graet effect in making the fruit stand out.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

The background is a cheap sheet of thick black paper. As part of my post processing my background turned out a bit blueish. I was working great in the cherry but not so much in the blueberries. That is why I desaturated a bit. But you are right, it is a nice background that you can turn into different colors.

Thanks for your comment... Smile

Paul Cezanne

I love the cherry, both in monochrome and colour. The simplicity and clarity of it is exquisite.

The idea of the blueberries is good - they may suffer a bit from being placed next to the cherry photos - but the middle one looks a little ripe.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks Matthew, I am very happy you like the cherry picture.

Quote:......but the middle one looks a little ripe
About this berry... I could say I thought about this when I place them and the idea was to say the old and bigger one support the rest, like in a family... but sadly I didn't think about this idea until I saw my picture, I liked it so much and I had to make me a story to leave it.

Then I thought, well, there are two options. To delete it because one berry is wrinkled, or to leave it for the viewer to have something to look at and to talk about... Smile I took the second option... Smile

Thanks for your comment Matthew.

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Feb 20, 2016, 22:59
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Feb 26, 2015, 05:01