Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bradford, West Yorkshire. UK

I went shopping to Bradford last Friday, and it looks as though it needs "A Place in the Country" to re-generate it.

The centre of the town is a jumble of building sites, traffic cones, and a general mess.
I hate to say this about a town where I grew up. In the 60's beautiful buildings and victorian arcades were demolished. Now the replacements (glass and concrete) are out of date after 40 years. Ex councillors somewhere are living a life of riley on the proceeds of what was paid for by ratepayers. IMO. Holes are appearing annually but not being built upon. All we got were pie in the sky promises which once started were amended to something from a horror movie.

[Image: 280po3s.jpg]
1. Bradford Cathedral, and what was for years the Main Post office building in front of it. The derelict land which has been like this for over 6 years was part of the Forster Square regeneration.

[Image: 30hsyz6.jpg]
2. As in 1, where the old Wolfe & Hollander furniture business once stood.

[Image: de7ed0.jpg]
3. Just outside the disguising? fence what the council calls a garden. This used to be a dual carriageway. Just round the corner is a notice saying 'Garden Closed'. although we were in it.

[Image: 2lup6o4.jpg]
4. Close up of wild flowers (Stink daisy ss?)

[Image: 2z7oin6.jpg]
5. I like the cornflowers among the daisies and other flowers. I used to see a lot as a child.

[Image: m3ijd.jpg]
6 A pretty fence at the end of what was once a main shopping street.

[Image: w71u2v.jpg]
7. Looking along Broadway, the main shopping street aforementioned. Rather exotic now.

[Image: 30tqq0k.jpg]
8. Looking back in the direction of the garden and where buildings have been demolished, bare brick walls remain an ugly eyesore.

[Image: j5hxy9.jpg]
9. Hawkers outside the Kirkgate Mall/Market. We dodged inside to escape a shower.

[Image: hwamn5.jpg]
10. In front of the Town Hall. They must be blinkered.

[Image: 23mo2np.jpg]
11. Looking back to Sunbridge Road The Town Hall hidden on my left.

What do you think the tourists will think? 'Bradford's Bouncing Back' or 'Bradford twinned with Beirut'.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Great story and series documenting urban decay. This thread is a strong argument for *not* removing the Photo Journalism category. Great work!

I like very much how you presented your pictures. Your quotations are short and clear. I see beautiful buildings, but I don't think I will like to visit this part of your country. Specially if I want to take pictures ... Smile

Thanks a lot for sharing NT.. Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks Toad and Irma.
There are some good places for photo's in Bradford though. Just not in the centre ATM.
And being in the centre of England, almost, you have countryside on your doorstep. Bronte country, as in Wuthering Heights. Tongue

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Aug 30, 2016, 12:38
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Mar 25, 2015, 11:01