Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

On white and on black

As you notice by now, I am posting only berries and cherries in my pictures.... The thing is that I wanted to place them in different context and working different ideas... Here I use them with a vase with dry grass. I didn't use normal beautiful flowers because I thought it would be very common... Wink so I wanted something different.

In this one #1 I worked a reflection, and I used black background to stand out the colors of the grass. It is taken with natural light from the roof window.

[Image: IMG_0087-Edit-2_berries.jpg]

Here is on white with less grass and the pink leaf. I worked my colors here with the lemon.

[Image: IMG_0198-Edit_berries.jpg]

#3 another version on white.

[Image: DSC_8867-Edit_berries.jpg]

The good news is that my berries went today to the compost and I will not buy more... Smile bad news I bought one kilo of plums to take pictures... Big Grin

Thanks for following my berry series... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Very exciting to see the progress of this series. Of these recent offerings, #2 appeals to me the most because I like its composition and the contrast between the muted tones of the colors and the minimalist backdrop of the white jug against the white background. It has a very sophisticated feel to it that I like very much.

I would like #3 better without the hanging frond. I understand the frond when taken in context with the other photos, but when #3 is viewed on its own, the frond looks a bit out of place.

#1 is the trickiest one for me. The other 2 photos focus on the berries and twigs - but because the jug is stark white on deep black in #1, the jug becomes the obvious focal point of this shot. Its a nice effect as well, but I don't think that this is your intention. It feels to me that you are trying to setup a still life that uses the jug as a *context* for the photo rather than its subject. Having said that, #1 would work wonderfully as a product shot for the jug.

I sort of agree with Toad, but I do like no 3 also. It seems to be a bit more balanced out. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks Toad, NT for your comments... Smile

Toad about #3 I was also in two minds thinking whether I should clone out the grass or not. I also had the same idea as NT to leave it as to have something to go to in the upper half of the frame.

I made a quick repair to see the jug without the grass too... Smile

[Image: DSC_8867-Edit.jpg]

It looks to me much cleaner.

I appreciate very much your comment about #3. I will prepare some jugs in more neutral color, so I can use them on black background. You are right when you say that in this picture it looks as if the subject were the white vase.

Thanks Smile

Paul Cezanne

No problem - as I say, I am enjoying your work with the berries and backgrounds very much.

I understand what NT and you are saying about balance in #3. If you decide to stick with the grass-removed version, you can possibly *re-balance* the composition by cropping the photo a bit on the top side.

Its great to see the direction that you are going with your recent work.

Thanks Toad... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Neither version of #3 really have enough going on for visual interest for me - yes, me the person who likes photos of blank walls - but both #1 and #2 are exquisite. I can't help but think that #1 is the more striking on my monitor, but that #2 would be a much stronger print.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks Matthew for your comment... Smile

I am planning to make a series with the same concept of #3, with different vases, cups and bottles. I will post it when I have enough material.

Paul Cezanne

Dear Irma, how much I love your photography Smile The artistic touches are always great in your photographs... Just I can say this for the first one, as if it would be better to see more reflection or equally seen... I hope I can explain. But this is me, why I wanted to see them more I can't explain well, but yes, they are super shots, the colours, the compositions and your technical talent for your camera, they are all well done,

Thank you,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post