Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Different Flowers... :)

Still I find flowers beautiful subjects I can learn a lot from. I show here a small series of flowers I did in the past months. Hope you enjoy it.

[Image: IMG_3529-Edit.jpg]

Yellow flower from my garden. I love those little ones because they bloom from very early in spring and last to the end of summer.

[Image: IMG_2967-Edit.jpg]

Blossoms in B&W. Catching the light in the flowers.

[Image: IMG_3215-Edit-2.jpg]

Blossoms in warm colors.

[Image: IMG_3780-Edit.jpg]

Hortencias, also from the garden. I treated these pictures to be used as a greeting card.

[Image: IMG_5576-Edit.jpg]

The bonus... Wink

Thanks for looking... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Irma hello. Of the photos you show, #2 is the most appealing to me. I like the atmosphere you create, the radiating composition. It is the only photo which makes good use of light AND which portrays flowers as ephemeral, translucent and fragile. I think that this has been the strength of your flower photos in the past (depending on my memory here) to show that. #1 is to me the weakest - it reminds me of other flowers on flower flickr groups. It is well exposed but front lit, centered composition - a head on. The next two photos after the BW look like a commercial art (postcards/tablecloth). They are pleasing and post-processing make them stand out from many others. I like the painterly effect particularly on #3, but also on #4, but i do not think that the effect would add much to a well lit flower (I particularly like backlighting, but sometimes side-lighting is very atractive too) interestingly composed and processed to show of the fragility of flowers. To me the processing of #5 is in direct conflict with the subject. Grainy, cold-toned processing would work well on abandoned industrial site, but I do not think it enhances flowers.

I am sorry Irma, this is probably not the feedback you hoped for, but it is quite predictable if you know my tastes and my big mouth. I suspect that you and others will disagree with the feedback I am giving, which is of course very personal and set against a background of enormous respect for your work in general and remembering well how much you helped me with your much more gentle and kind and constructive comments on my work.

Pavel

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

I think #3 and #4 are particularly strong - I like the processing you have done on those very much.

Me too; lovely soft and muted tones...I like those screen-like textures too.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Stop flannelling and say what you mean Pavel. Big Grin
I am in agreement with Pavel over no 1, but my preference is No.3 (maybe my feminine side, and no I'm not Rolleyes)
It has a fine porcelain effect.

As a little group they all go together.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks for your review on my flower pictures Pavel.... Smile

There is no need to be sorry. That is the way you see my pictures and all comments and points of view are valid here. Considering again each of my post I would say that #1 is maybe a personal achievement as most of the times I blow out the yellows. This time I see good exposure and texture in the petals. I want to say also that, I am not afraid of this kind of composition with flowers.

Some of my best picture of flowers have been taken in the same way... Smile

http://shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic....0912#30912, http://shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic....7826#47826

About #4 I was looking for pastel colors. I only found them in a low contrast image. That is why I chose this kind of lighting and post processing.

#5 There is in a corner of my memory a image very similar to this one. I don't know the time or the place but the feeling to this one is strong and speaks to me. Wink

Toad, thanks that you mentioned the post processing. I am still learning. Smile

Zig, I know that you work with textures too. I like a lot of your textured pictures from Italy. More than one of your pictures have been inspiration to work with textures myself. I am happy you like my work here.

NT, my treatment in #3 was based on simplifying details of the flowers. I see it is a strong manipulation of the image but I like the warm mood and treatment. Smile

Thanks all so much for the time you took on visiting and commenting on my images. I appreciate it very much... Smile

Paul Cezanne

I really like the composition and quietness of #4. While my first thought was also a greeting card, I can also see this image as a print from a very old manuscript. It has the feel of something that's been worn down from years of being touched, the way an illustration in a favourite book might be handled by its reader.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I can't count. I meant No 4, the blue ones on the parchment B/G. Smile

I did notice the centres in No 3. Wink

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks Matthew... Smile I am also very happy how this one turned out. I have another composition a bit more lose in vertical format, but this one to me is the winner.

NT, I took them in a very sunny day, but there were big white clouds, I wanted for the clouds to hide the sun to take my picture.

Paul Cezanne

2, 3 and 4 stand out to me Irma. I particularly like number 3 - you have treated the subject beautifully.

Canon stuff.

WOW! These are all so beautiful and artistic, dear Irma,

No.2, is one of my favurite, so impressive
No.3, is great touches in watercolour image... fascinated me so much
No.5, ah, yes, this seemed to me so nostalgic, like an old picture...

You did great set dear Irma, I loved them all,
Thank you,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post