Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Vietnam - Hanoi

My time in Hanoi was cut short when I fell sick in Hoi An. I had originally planned to arrive in Hanoi a few days earlier and then head out to the beautiful Ha Long bay for a while before returning to Hanoi for a couple of nights before my flight to leave Vietnam.
Sadly I had to miss Ha Long bay and only got to spend 2 nights in Hanoi. This was made worse by the fact that my stay in Hanoi wasn't really as enjoyable as I hoped. I don't want to dwell on it, and indeed it is a memorable city and there were times I really enjoyed myself, but I experienced moments of tourist-hell being faced by numerous rip-off merchants who were interested only in extracting the most amount of money possible for the least effort. Ironically this made me spend far less money than I would in Saigon, where the people's generous nature was contagious and I would happily spend whenever I could.

But I did find a couple of excellent little restaurants and some people that reminded me not everyone in Hanoi is overly-materialistic or corrupt. And I had an excellent wander around the old quarter of town which is remarkable.

[Image: 1076124499_XpMdy-M.jpg] [Image: 1076125183_Hoex2-M.jpg]
1. The first thing I did when I got to Hanoi - drink a local beer. 2. The view from my balcony on the 1st night.

[Image: 1077518953_ukCZ6-M.jpg] [Image: 1077517842_ba5sn-M.jpg]
3. Old men playing chequers. 4. There were numerous couples having wedding photos taken around the lake.

[Image: 1077520054_Wbqvi-M.jpg] [Image: 1077521445_7jUEz-M.jpg]
5. A boy tends to his birds at the lake. 6. Classic expressions.

[Image: 1077517328_xeQWf-M.jpg] [Image: 1077541854_N6VFc-M.jpg]
7. The women do hard work all day. 8. While the men seem to play chequers and drink coffee.

[Image: 1077521056_qivrP-M.jpg] [Image: 1077520761_4HLwS-M.jpg] [Image: 1077517474_NDzjm-M.jpg]
9. Nguyen, a school teacher selling toothpicks for the red cross to help Vietnamese kids. 10. Another wedding party along the lake in the old quarter. 11. A couple of oldies watch the world go by.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

I am really enjoying the quality of this travel series - both photographically and textually. Thanks for posting these - I can't wait for more.

Beautiful - love the silky smooth shots. Subjectwise, I really like what you've done in capturing everyday life in the natural setting...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Kombisaurus
Nov 6, 2010, 08:59