Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

On the Road Again - Across Australia by Motorcycle

[Image: smugshot_5910265-L.jpg]

I'm off on my next little adventure. Heading from Perth to Hobart on my motorbike and taking the scenic route getting there.

[Image: smugshot_1177740-L.jpg]

I actually left Perth 6 days ago, and am currently at the Nullabor Roadhouse just over the state border into South Australia. I'm camping in a tent when I can and staying in hotels or roadhouses when the weather is bad or I really need a shower.

[Image: smugshot_8486244-L.jpg]

The route I have planned is about 6000km, and I've done just over 2000km so far in about a week. I'm loving it, and really starting to settle in to a nice pace. I've got plenty of time to stop and see things along the way.

[Image: smugshot_5694294-L.jpg]

I'm trying to get off the main highways a bit when I can, and my trusty old Yamaha FZS600 Fazer even takes a bit of off-roading in it's stride.
Today I just rode 200km along a section of the longest uninterrupted sea cliffs in the world, and spent a good section of that just meters away from the edge.

[Image: smugshot_5028648-L.jpg]

Mobile phone reception and internet is very sparse out here, but I'll post some more when I get a chance.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Dear Adrian, I loved no.1 and 3; so beautiful and so impressive. The silhouettes are amazing with the blue sky. And no.3, amazing reflection you captured, what a beautiful colours... Great work. Thank you and have a nice journey,

with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

I am so green I can see it reflecting on my screen! Awesome.

Look forward to more pictures and information, Have a great trip.

That is amazing. Great photos, and a great trip. I've always loved the idea of motorcycle trips, but I'm not convinced that I'd enjoy being a minimalist for that long. I'm with you in spirit, though, and look forward to seeing more.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I really like no.3, and in No 4 your bike seems to be floating of the page and into my living room.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Awesome Adrian - tried to ring you in Perth and left a message. Guess we can catch up when you get back.

Canon stuff.

Have a great trip. Looks like you are having a p**s in #1...

Thanks guys. I'm having a ball. I just arrived in Adelaide last night.Smile
I've got about 3300km behind me now. From here on to Melbourne the road stays much closer to civilization and gets more twisty and more interesting.
But already I miss the vast featureless Nullabor plain. Being a mere speck on the landscape out there is a humbling experience, and following that never-ending straight road is kind of meditative. Although so much of it is the same at first glance, every day was different. With so few distractions I began to really notice the changes in weather, soil, flora and fauna that occur when you're crossing a continent. And I've met a few friendly characters along the way too.

[Image: smugshot_951396-L.jpg]
1. I spent the night in an old run-down classic Australian pub in Norsman.

[Image: smugshot_6035493-L.jpg]
2. "skippy" Dave, a very friendly and helpful local I met in the tiny town of Iron Knob.

[Image: smugshot_1574696-L.jpg]
3. This sign means business. I set up camp a few kilometers up this road.

[Image: smugshot_1759490-L.jpg]
4. I rode past a cool wind farm yesterday afternoon.

[Image: smugshot_8904451-L.jpg]
5. Windmills, old and new.

[Image: smugshot_9616581-L.jpg]
6. South Australians love their footy teams, and there seems to be a trend to celebrate victories on water tanks and old farm buildings.

[Image: smugshot_1023083-L.jpg]
7. Premiers '08!

[Image: smugshot_1464782-L.jpg]
8. The Big Galah (standing in front of a large bird statue).

[Image: smugshot_1440049-L.jpg]
9. An amazing starry moonless night near the Caiguna Blowhole.

Adrian Broughton

WOW! 3300 km you have already done! I can feel and imagine how exciting and interesting your voyage by motorcyle! You captured such a beautiful photographs but but, no.4 and no.9 they are my best, what a moment you captured in number 4! Fascinated me. Thank you dear Adrian, have a nice and enjoyable day, and be in safe on the road,

with my love,
nia

Ansel Adams

Thanks Nia. Smile

Adrian Broughton

Kombisaurus Wrote:Thanks guys. I'm having a ball. I just arrived in Adelaide last night.Smile
My ancestral homeland - good on ya!

That's one heck of a sign. I doubt you had two spare tyres – and perhaps some solid webbing straps would be more appropriate than a two rope.

But really, who could look at that sign and not press on?

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Woohoo Matt. Your roots. I like Adelaide too, but I have no ties here.
You might appreciate this little video clip of me riding through the Adelaide hills earlier today on my way to the Coorong National Park where I'm camping at the moment (I'm typing this in a tent right now).

Click here to view YouTube clip.

And you're right about the sign. I bet more people view it as a challenge than a warning!

Adrian Broughton

Kombisaurus Wrote:Woohoo Matt. Your roots. I like Adelaide too, but I have no ties here.
You might appreciate this little video clip of me riding through the Adelaide hills earlier today on my way to the Coorong National Park where I'm camping at the moment (I'm typing this in a tent right now).

Click here to view YouTube clip.

And you're right about the sign. I bet more people view it as a challenge than a warning!
Before dear Matthew, I reply Smile I hope you don't mind!

I watched this video. This was so exciting, as if I was riding too Smile And sometimes it was fearful for me, but you did a nice video, I really enjoyed. Have a nice journey and please be careful, be in safe,

Blessing and Happiness,
Thank you,
nia

Ansel Adams

Cool video Kombi. It seemed even more exciting to me - because even though I knew better, it still looked like you were on the wrong side of the road and I half expected see a truck coming at you in your lane around every corner...

I like your stills as well - the one of the starry night really stands out as something you don't see everyday and the "windmills old and new" shot really works well. I'm off to Italy in a few days - so hopefully I will get a chance to exercise my camera as well..

Thanks Nia and Toad.
I didn't realize your trip was so soon Rob! Have fun!

I should also point out that none of these photos (or the video) have been through a computer. They've been transferred from camera to iPad, then processed and uploaded directly from the iPad to the internet.
Although the iPad doesn't have the capacity to dump all my photos onto it, it's great for the "daily highlights" that are good to share with friends.
I have also brought a netbook with me, but so far I only use that to dump photos onto and nothing else. In the future I might just bring a portable HDD with memory card reader instead.
Obviously all my serious editing will need to wait until I get home.

Adrian Broughton

I kept catching myself holding my breath during the video. That must have been bewildering after the Nullabor!

Toad Wrote:… even though I knew better, it still looked like you were on the wrong side of the road …
To be fair, there were a couple of times when he distinctly was. Big Grin

Wow, just saw your posts now: what a great adventure! love your pictures and a tiny bit of my heart travels with you! Enjoy and take good care, Uli

I will show your photo's to my wife, and then I can cross Australia off the annual trips to exotic ( and expensive) places. Wink

I am hoping she will feel that she is already in Australia, and therefore does not need to go in person.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Great video Adrian.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Browser Mike
Nov 27, 2015, 05:31
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jun 26, 2015, 05:08