Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Toad's Italy: Napoli

Napoli sits at the foot of Mother Vesuvius - the people love her for her kindness and fear her for her wrath. Sometimes generous – sometimes severe, she favors them with rich farmland, an azure sea and sometimes when she is angry, clouds of dust and ash. This timeless cycle of give and take embodies Neapolitans with a strong sense of history and a rich understanding of change.

[Image: Napoli%20Skyline.jpg]
Leica M9 / 28mm Leica Elmarit-M ASPH, ISO 160, F8, 1/1000 sec

Real people live here, and Napoli is all about the people. Not content to be a decaying museum piece like Venice or an icon of fashion like Milan, Neapolitans embrace the hustle and bustle, the constant motion, and the restless energy of the city. They share a keen appreciation that life is meant for living in the company of others – many others. Longing for the solitude of the countryside? Not here, my friend. Napoli is about life among the multitude. Learn to love the crowds, and rekindle the joy of living with people again.

[Image: Napoli%20Scooter.jpg]
Leica M9 / 50mm Leica Summicron-M, ISO 200, F3.4, 1/125 sec

Real people living real lives – seemingly oblivious to the waves of tourists and other invaders bent on using Napoli as a springboard to Pompeii and to the riches of the Amalfi Coast. Step away from the tourist zones, and Napoli lives on as it has for a thousand years – embracing its history and welcoming each new wave of invaders with a wry smile and an understanding nod. We’ve seen all this before, and we will still be here long after you are gone.

[Image: Napoli%20Bus%20Riders.jpg]
Leica M9 / 50mm Leica Summicron-M, ISO 200, F3.4, 1/180 sec

Have a problem? Signora would like to order a vegetarian panini? The Neapolitans will listen, understand your problem, express sympathy, and shrug their shoulders. It’s an interesting story – but why are you telling me this? They are not indifferent – but they have heard it all before. The English fades away and its all “non capisco” until you decide to chill a bit and go with the flow. Then it’s all Ok again – perhaps another glass? Va bene – va bene…

[Image: Napoli%20TShirts.jpg]
Leica M9 / 28mm Leica Elmarit-M ASPH, ISO 400, F8, 1/45 sec

Residents and visitors alike – each person leaving his or her mark on the richly grafittied walls and worn paving stones – layer after layer, century after century. Peel away a layer, lift a stone, or strip a canvas and something else will be revealed beneath - a Roman ruin or a broken CD.

[Image: Napoli%20Metro.jpg]
Leica M9 / 28mm Leica Elmarit-M ASPH, ISO 1000, F6.7, 1/45 sec

Why worry? Have you not everything you need? A good meal, a glass of wine, the deep blue sea, and the endless sunshine? And conversation – loud, intense, full bodied and lusty – about whoever passes on the street or about the idiots in charge.

Because life will go on, and what is new today will be ancient in a thousand years. Napoli will be there long after everyone and everything that is there now is gone. And so it goes…

[Image: Galleria%20Feet.jpg]
Leica M9 / 28mm Leica Elmarit-M ASPH, ISO 160, F8, 1/180 sec

Beautiful pictures and great narrative about Napoli's life style.

I can see that you were in places were people live everyday life. I also like very much the way you take us from the panorama picture and locate the city in the "map" to the designed floor of any place in Napoli.

I identify my thoughts about Italy and Italian people with your narrative, and made me live again my experience when I was there...

Your pictures are great, and I couldn't say I find one more interesting than other. I see they all belong together, and support your narrative very well.

Thanks Toad, for showing us your Napoli... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Lovely shots, crisp slices...and I do like the 2 strands of movement: the one from the wide overview to the living bustle of people, the other from sky to earth, through to subterrranean(a bit like a Thomas Pynchon novel). If this is merely the appetiser, the main course will be a feast.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

These are beautiful photographs, dear Robert, typical Italiano Smile Have a nice and enjoyable time,

Thank you for your Italy topic, seems that it would be so nice and enjoyable,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Great sense of the city from your narrative and your photos. It is like you are peeling away the outer layer from the wide shot through to the heart of the city - it's people.

Canon stuff.

Thank you people for your kind comments. I have so much material that I feel compelled to break out of my typical mode of throwing a single photo up without comment and subsequently discussing it. I have also been flirting for a long time with the idea of trying to integrate words more closely into my visuals. The upside is that it provides a framework for the images. The downside is that my selection of photos changes a bit from strictly those ones that are in my "A" file to a wider series of images that support the narrative. Perhaps what I lose in absolute quality of visuals will be made up by the text.

Let's see if a little series of posts containing both photos and commentary helps to make better sense of my experience.

A quality set Mr T. Must be 30 years back when I visited. Brings back many memories.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks NT.

Actually, I learned something in all these days, I mean during my photography experience/story, the most enjoyable and exciting part is to work on the photographs! Yes, it is exciting too to take pictures, but to sit at your desk and to begin to watch and to chose your photoraphs and to make some changes, etc. like a painter,.... yes, I feel like that Smile

Good Luck dear Robert, it seems that to keep watching your topics will be so nice and enjoyable, Italy is all in our memories but to see from your eyes, will make another voyage for us.

Once again thank you,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Great photo series and story. I think I'd lose my mind after about half an hour there, but you make me want to give it a try.

As a semi-irrelevant aside, I really like the "Toad's Italy" title – both for the perspective and the suggestion that this is just the first instalment.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

matthew Wrote:Great photo series and story. I think I'd lose my mind after about half an hour there, but you make me want to give it a try.

As a semi-irrelevant aside, I really like the "Toad's Italy" title – both for the perspective and the suggestion that this is just the first instalment.
Thanks Matt. Its definitely a challenge loosening up enough to enjoy the street life in Napoli - but I suppose that is what travel is for. Thanks for the feedback re the title - the installment idea is what I am going for: nice to see that it resonates,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Toad
Feb 22, 2012, 15:22
Last Post by Toad
Feb 22, 2012, 15:21