Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Poppies(2)

I'm sure the Golden Rule for wideangle use is "be prepared for dirty trousers"...wides can be so lacklustre without the blessing of immediate foreground interest.

[Image: 1878_web.jpg]

The following one loses a bit in websizing, so I've included a 100% crop. Mr Zeiss roolz.

[Image: 1885_web.jpg]

...and the crop:

[Image: 1885_web100crop.jpg]

And finishing this little selection with a long tele for a bit of contrast:

[Image: 1921_web.jpg]

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I have to agree with your comment about wide angles and foreground interest. IN Italy, I hated my wide angle shots at first until I started to work with that premise. After years of zooms, it was like learning to shoot all over again.

As always, your processing rises to the fore. I like the selective nature of the de-saturation - makes the poppies stand out more. All of these shots work well for me for different reasons. #1 is in your face, and gets up close and personal with the flowers - all with a dramatic sky. #2 is a classic with a great horizon line lead to by the flowers. #4 is also a treat - I always like those furrows in fields.

Beautiful series this one as well. Your first picture inspires me to take my wide lens and give another try to the fields... I like the detail and closeness to the flowers very much. It looks as if you had very good weather for this pictures. I see some detail of droplets on the flowers??

I tent to get dirty trousers no matter what lens I have with me... the thing I love the most is how close you are to the soil and the smell... not so nice of course when it is dry and dusty, but in the forest around the conifers smells always great.

Very nice post processing. I see it as sepia kind of green desaturated but still with a lot of color in the flowers.

Thanks for sharing your pictures Zig... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

They are all very good but I see a kind of darkness. Transylvania ala Dracula fashion. It's not a criticism just an observation.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73 Wrote:They are all very good but I see a kind of darkness. Transylvania ala Dracula fashion. It's not a criticism just an observation.
They do indeed have a touch of the Transylvanian... I like that!

WOW! So impressive and so inspirational too dear Zig, how can be different poppies in your hands... As dear Irma's poppies too! You are amazing photographers, both and fascinating me your photographs.

Thank you,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Yes, they are dark...new approaches and all that, pushing the connotations of poppies away from either Monet, Sisley or the 1st World War. Interesting continuance of the blood motif in the viewer. The colour red that'd be.
Come to that, I can't think of where else the colour red is in such profusion in the natural north european landscape...any ideas anyone?

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Zig Wrote:Come to that, I can't think of where else the colour red is in such profusion in the natural north european landscape...any ideas anyone?
Bull fighters capes, geraniums and the Russian and Labour party. Rolleyes Big Grin

Link to color. http://www.precisionintermedia.com/color.html

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jeffbridge
Nov 11, 2014, 00:14
Last Post by Toad
Jun 8, 2011, 06:43
Last Post by alastair_hm
Aug 16, 2007, 04:20