Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hamburg Hauptbahnhof

I finally had the chance to visit Hamburg.... Smile These are my pictures of the Central Station.

I like very much this window, and the warm colors of the walls.

[Image: IMG_7002-Edit.jpg]

Here is the clock. There are three, sadly we cannot appreciate much of the building inside as they have hung huge posters in the middle of the passage and one can't admire the ceiling. There should be a photographer as manager in this station to remove all distractions... Wink

[Image: IMG_6983-Edit.jpg]

I love the idea of taking pictures of places like this one because it is as if I were living in another time, as if I were a spectator... Watching people running gave me the idea of this picture. I wanted to try more, so I took out of my bag a small tripod... Kind of gorilla tripod, and when I was taking my pictures from the floor they told me I couldn't take pictures with tripod, only hand held ... I asked why? and the security officer only said "it is private" Just now I think I could have wrapped the tripod in the rail and take my pictures... Well... it can be next time... Wink

[Image: IMG_6984-Edit.jpg]

The platform area...
Old trains, new trains, lots of people... made me think a lot...

[Image: IMG_6989-Edit.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6995-Edit.jpg]

This is the other entry or exit... It is so different from the other side of the building...

[Image: IMG_7010-Edit.jpg]

Thanks for looking... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Excellent perspective of the station. Its nice that you provided enough images to really get to see the place.

I love #1 and I wonder how you got your perspective so true. Do you have a tilt / shift lens, or did you play with it to correct the perspective, or did you just have a great vantage point? Lovely color and tones.

I also really like the way 4 and 5 capture the hustle and bustle of the station - I think it really adds tension to them when you include the train because you know the train will move.

Its funny how tripods evoke all kinds of abuse from security guards - you would think that they were something unusual. In Italy, I used the string monopod and it was a total winner. Not only did it give you a stop or 2 to play with, but even in a cathedral, nobody ever challenged it. I suppose that is because it looks so much less professional than a tripod.

Thanks Toad for your comment... Smile

I have a T/S 24mm, but this time I used a P&S (G9) for this series as I didn't want to look intrusive... I did work with perspective but the merit of this picture is that I was located at the top of the stairs, in the place the lady with scarf is in the second picture. That gave me good height to get my picture nearly right.

I agree with you about the platform pictures.

You gave me a great idea with the monopod. I will carry mine next time. I have a regular one, I have to try one of those you mention in some point.

Paul Cezanne

It is like looking in a church. Smile

I wonder if no 4 might benefit from a little time lapse, like no 3. :/

My wife and I are going to London for a few days later this month. I will see if I can emulate you Irma. Or if not then "And now for something completely different". Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Really nice; I do like purposeful architectural spaces wth people, as there is ofetn some motif or symbol in the designs that suggests a comment on "people". NT picks up the churchlike space and I too find that ogee arch interesting with its almost eastern style.
I also remember being challenged in a local shopping "mall" by security guards for having a tripod. I've no idea why this meaningless bit of bureaucracy is so common: I have a feeling it's some pointless "safety or terrorist" nonsense cooked up by the baby-minders in our European Community HQ in Brussels.
I guess that with the tripod, an HDR would be both practical and an interesting way of compressing the dynamic range.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

NT, I also thought it was looking like a church.
Quote:I wonder if no 4 might benefit from a little time lapse, like no 3.
I think it would look really nice. I think I will have to go again... Smile

NT, I think if you have a white floor it looks much better as you have more contrast with the people. My picture has no contrast because the floor was too red....

Looking forward to seeing your pictures from London... Wink

Zig,
I am almost sure that it was your picture from the mall that you did with long exposure the one I remember and inspired me to work my picture. I remember as well that it was a white floor and lots of light. I was missing that in my picture. I missed to take pictures of the fachada here... The main entrance of the building is really beautiful...

Still lots of holes to fill... I have to go again.... Smile

Thanks all for your comments... Smile

Paul Cezanne

These are so alive and moving. And the colours... I loved them dear Irma, compositions well chosen. I have many images in my mind about Hamburg (because of my Dad, he was visiting several times in a year because of his business) but with these photographs, something added to my mind, so beautiful and so inspirational. But I am afraid they wouldn't let me to do this. In so many places security doesn't let to take pictures. You are lucky Smile

Thank you dear Irma,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Thanks nia .. I am happy you found my pictures interesting. Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Irma
May 25, 2008, 22:37
Last Post by guerito
Jan 14, 2008, 13:09
Last Post by Irma
Jul 3, 2005, 07:41