Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Minolta 100-300mm Captures - Fogo Island

About six months ago I purchased a pristine Minolta 100-300mm APO (D) lens, and today I tried it out for the first time! I have been so busy with my Samyang 8mm, and various other toys, that I just never had gotten around to using this one. I bought it for iceberg captures, (as well as for an upcoming day trip to a nearby island for photographing Atlantic puffins and other seabirds) but what was supposed to be a bumper crop year for bergs around here has to date been anything but, so it has just sat unused in my camera case. Until today.

My daughter Jacqueline and I took advantage of our first nice-weather day in a couple of weeks, to go exploring across Fogo Island with our cameras, and had a great time; we both managed to get plenty of "keepers". I had heard some wonderful things about the 100-300mm APO (D), and it is indeed everything I dreamed it would be... and then some! At 300mm (f/8) this lens is incredibly sharp, and the colour is typically "Minolta" perfect.

The attached duck images were captured (handheld) at the full 300mm, with one of my Sony A500's. I tried many variations of settings, but our feathered friends were so lively that I boosted the ISO up to 1,600, thus increasing the shutter speed to 1/2,000 sec, (at f/8) which got the job done.

This is an outstanding lens that I highly recommend for folks such as myself, who want some reach but cannot afford pricier glass. After an afternoon of playing with my new lens, I currently have no desire for anything "better", as in more expensive/longer reach.

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

[Image: DSC00040a900pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC00067a900pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC00050a900pix.jpg]

I like the first image very much.

Combining this lens with the 8mm could make a very interesting two-lens kit. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

WOW! The first one is amazing dear Glen! The others so nice too, but the first one! Fascinated me, as if I can touch...
Thank you, have a nice trip, and take so many pictures, so many Smile

with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post