Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fault with 350D

I was taking shots on a beach in bright sunlight (over my right shoulder) using aperture priority.

Two shots only had a B&W version added to the colour version. Shots before and after were as they should be.

A strange fluke? :|

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

My, that's the 1st time I've heard of that, even as I was a 350D owner for a couple of years. I'm regularly in touch with its new owner who shoots in jpeg all the time, and nope, never a word on that. If all's well now, may as well let sleeping dogs lie and all that? I'm trying to remember if one could have inadvertently pushed a button with a bodily extremity(!) but cannot conceive of how this sort of a "dicky fit" might have occurred. No other funny goings-on with the camera since the beach I take it? (Momentarily wondered if a bit of salt spray might have shorted something or confused its brain)

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Gadzooks! Twas not the 350D, but the Panny LS5. I had them both with me on this trip.
My humble apologies, although the same conditions apply.

No spray. The only thing I could think of was the sun affecting it somehow. ( Like the remote or distance sensors) Or Norfolk Rolleyes

Thanks for that Zig.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Cue the "Twilight Zone" music... :|

I don't know how that goes, Rob. The music don't come out so good in text. Big Grin
The only difference I found was on the exif. B&W says - 'Custom Rendered' Normal process - and the colour versions says - 'Custom Rendered' Custom process.
Of course I have no idea what 'custom rendered' means, apart from a few quid extra for the camera. Rolleyes Big Grin

Lumix LX5.

You might want to take it to the local priest to have a look but watch out for girls with spinning heads along the way... Big Grin Big Grin

On the more earthly side, I'd suspect that the camera was briefly set to raw+jpg with the 'film' mode set to monochrome… otherwise, I have no idea.

Personally, I'm wondering why you were taking photos over your right shoulder. I usually take them in front of me. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

shuttertalk Wrote:You might want to take it to the local priest to have a look but watch out for girls with spinning heads along the way... Big Grin Big Grin
For exorcise or exercise. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.

matthew Wrote:On the more earthly side, I'd suspect that the camera was briefly set to raw+jpg with the 'film' mode set to monochrome… otherwise, I have no idea.

Personally, I'm wondering why you were taking photos over your right shoulder. I usually take them in front of me. Big Grin
I thought of that just after I posted. As to the settings I never changed them, but raw+jpg would download to the pc as both and I have no raw showing on that day.

Ah well never mind. I will worry now why I am getting a lot of OOF shots. Big Grin I will have to go back to the bromide in me tea. Rolleyes

Lumix LX5.

Ok, detective hat on now.

Do you still have the pics on the card?

I'm wondering whether it occurred in camera, or possibly on the computer via some program after? Perhaps through fiddling a program might have inadvertently generated a second copy with effects applied.

Or maybe in a parallel universe, there's an evil version of yourself who only shoots in B&W (you know, more evil and more dramatic) and for a brief instant the timelines converged, leaving you with the two images as the only evidence of the occurrence. Big Grin Big Grin

shuttertalk Wrote:Or maybe in a parallel universe, there's an evil version of yourself who only shoots in B&W (you know, more evil and more dramatic) and for a brief instant the timelines converged, leaving you with the two images as the only evidence of the occurrence. Big Grin Big Grin
..or maybe - he's dead and he doesn't know it...or its just a dream...or he is just a character in someone else's novel...

Toad Wrote:
shuttertalk Wrote:Or maybe in a parallel universe, there's an evil version of yourself who only shoots in B&W (you know, more evil and more dramatic) and for a brief instant the timelines converged, leaving you with the two images as the only evidence of the occurrence. Big Grin Big Grin
..or maybe - he's dead and he doesn't know it...or its just a dream...or he is just a character in someone else's novel...
Cue "Twilight Zone" music, or "HI ho, Hi ho, It's off to work we go". Big Grin
I used to think things like that - being dead and dreaming that you are living - but can you dream if you are dead? Oh Heck. I will get no peace until I am. :/ Big Grin

Lumix LX5.

shuttertalk Wrote:Ok, detective hat on now.

Do you still have the pics on the card?

I'm wondering whether it occurred in camera, or possibly on the computer via some program after? Perhaps through fiddling a program might have inadvertently generated a second copy with effects applied.

Or maybe in a parallel universe, there's an evil version of yourself who only shoots in B&W (you know, more evil and more dramatic) and for a brief instant the timelines converged, leaving you with the two images as the only evidence of the occurrence. Big Grin Big Grin
Yes they are still on the card.
It happened in camera ST, I was reviewing about 6 shots immediately after shooting, and the sequence went Colour, colour ,(colour, B&W), (colour, B&W), colour, colour. (Duplicates in brackets) I then checked the settings which were as far as I could see, as I had already set. It is possible to touch two buttons at the same time, but I may experiment to see if I can recreate the fenominen (sic).

Lumix LX5.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Zig
Sep 22, 2008, 16:49