Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Toad's Italy: Rise!

Spring 2011. Hot on the heels of the Arab Spring, the world is in turmoil. People have lost faith in their leadership, and seem unable or unwilling to let things continue on as they are. Widespread political and corporate corruption, failing financial institutions, labor unrest - and through all of it, the rich keep getting richer. People taking to the streets in record numbers.

[Image: Demonstration%201.jpg]
Leica M9 / 50mm Leica Summicron-M, ISO 640, F16, 1/500 sec

When I came upon the crowds, I was apprehensive. TV footage of crackdowns on demonstrators was fresh in my mind. Even fresher were the memories of smashed windows and burning police cars from the recent Stanley Cup riots in Vancouver, my hometown. But, hey, I was on vacation, had my camera in my hand, and subject matter right in front of me. I waded into the crowd, hoping that my rangefinder would look suitably unthreatening and suitably un-uncover-cop. Always keeping a watchful eye for brewing trouble, and the Carabinieri keeping an eye on everybody else.

[Image: CarabinieriST.jpg]
Leica M9 / 50mm Leica Summicron-M, ISO 640, F16, 1/90 sec

All around me, the excitement was growing - banners, noise, and shouting. Berlusconi's power on the wane, and no idea what was coming next - everybody demanding change. My schoolboy Italian useless for gaining clues from the rapid fire conversation around me.

[Image: CellPhoneGirl.jpg]
Leica M9 / Leica 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH, ISO 160, F23, 1/125 sec

But gradually, the mood begins to change, and the spirit lighten. It's a beautiful spring day, after all, and these are Italians. Plenty of time for anger and change - we'll boot those bastards out of power, and be done with them. Time for a party.

[Image: BalloonGuy.jpg]
Leica M9 / Leica 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH, ISO 160, F19, 1/60 sec

In the end, it all becomes a lot of fun - a wonderful day in the sun with a few thousand of my closest friends. A little music, a little wine, a few laughs and a good meal at the end. I think even the carabinieri went home with smiles on their faces.

[Image: Horn%20Guy.jpg]
Leica M9 / 50mm Leica Summicron-M, ISO 640, F16, 1/350 sec

...and so it goes.

Where is this? The stonework in #2 suggested Florence to me...yet it was in Bologna they always were demonstrating about something, as I remember...?
Very amusing...I like the sense that any feeling of threat is dispelled as early as #2, with the fashion-cop on his mobile...the cascade into anarchic bella figura is certain by the end.
However, what I'm most impressed by is the choice(though I know it's largely Hobson's for Leicas Wink ) of lens: am distinctly reminded of Guru Rockwell in a rare moment of acuity, opining quite rightly on a wide angle needing to be shoved into the face, up close and personal. I know this raises the challenge with apertures but the resulting feel of being "in there" is more than worth it. I'm full of admiration for those like yourself who wade in and take chances.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Thanks Zig. Actually, these are taken at 2 separate demonstrations, a civil strike in Florence and an anti Berlusconi rally in Milan - you have a *very* good eye for location. I have taken some artistic license by combining these 2 events into one for the sake of the narrative - but at both events, the vibe was very similar.

As for getting up close - yeah it felt kind of crazy at first - but very soon I got completely caught up in it. There is nothing candid about these shots, everybody was completely aware of being photographed and didn't seem to mind. Once you get past those objections, getting close just feels like the way to do it - particularly in a crowd like this. My photo rig doesn't seem to put people off either - so that helps as well. I am soooo glad that I didn't choose to stand on the fringes and take pot shots with the 90. These shots gain an immediacy that I can't believe I would have captured at a greater distance.

As for apertures, focus and all that rubbish, all of these were done with hyper focus - set the aperture and focus distance with the scale in advance - and simply not worry about it thereafter.

That's the spirit!!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Wonderful photographs you captured... I loved them all, fascinated me some of them especially how colourful they are... Thank you dear Robert, with my love, nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Thank you, nia.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Toad
Feb 22, 2012, 15:22