Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Parker Fly Deluxe 1995

You remember I recently sold 3 guitars, aiming to rationalise my collection?
Welllll, I just couldn't help myself:

[Image: 2827FlyWeb.jpg]

[Image: 2834fly%20dupeWEB.jpg]

With the sales done, I just happened to notice that in Yorkshire was a minty example of a 1995 Parker Fly Deluxe going for well less than half of the Parker Fly Mojo I played the other day. I've played some high-end guitars here and there but quite honestly this Fly is a fine and rare beast: the build, materials, engineering tolerances and all-round ergonomics and precision are quite remarkable.
I have a feeling that sic transit gloria mundi too really: the Mojo I played the other day was very good indeed...but the switching and neck were ever so not quite up to the quality of the old one. As a special blessing, the 1995 one had had a pickup upgrade by being sent back to Parker US some years ago, and in it are the very same pickups that grace the (considerably higher-priced) Mojo.
OK, the one thing that is surprisingly ordinary is the nut: it's been cut poorly and is to deep even for 10-gauge strings: I guess that a previous owner had it set up for 10s(explaining why there's a 10-gauge tremelo spring inside instead of the usual 9-gauge) but either got a pre-cut nut or did a poor job.
But..my,what a guitar. Beats me that a guitar can be so thin and light yet generate the acoustic tone of any unplugged full-on mahogany job. I've sadly not managed to get much hands-on yet this week(sob!)

I've posted a few more(not many) at PBase, which you can see here

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Ha ha, good job, Zig! Big Grin

Selling guitars.. pfft... thought you'd gone off the edge for a second there! Big Grin

...and it matches your garden hose beautifully! I'm not a musician, but it looks really nice.

As for "sic transit gloria mundi", I say "crede quod habes, et habes".

Wow – now I know what my wife hears when I talk about cameras! I understood nothing but the enthusiasm, which carries through quite clearly. So even though I lost you right around the word "minty", I still feel that congratulations are in order.

Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Awthanks chaps. Interestingly, Toad, I really did have a prayer-flurry whilst selling, aware that I'd not sold stuff before, and needed some help. So I reflected on the fact that, though many other facets of my life have been pretty desolate, when it comes to my "gifting areas" around music and photo, God has provided remarkably...as if these areas are indeed areas in which I can ask with confidence. Fitting, then, your quote..and with the imperative form of the verb, which is even better!

(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Nemo dat quod non habet...

Toad said what I was thinking! Smile Not the foreign stuff. Big Grin Finding Nemo dat quod non habet...

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Sorta, "no man gives what he doesn't have", I guess...but hey I can't say where it's from. Apart from our bufo bufo that is.

I do apologise, I seem to have temporarily disapeared up myself. I'll listen to the echo, look for the daylight..will be back soon...

I was just looking up 'sic gloria transit mundi' - because the only latin I ever knew was the maid at a hotel where the band worked Big Grin
And this came up :-
A Latin phrase meaning "so passes the glory of the world." The term is Templar-Masonic in origin, and has multiple occult connotations and uses among authors, poets, secret societies, and other intellectual oddballs. I like the last part. Wink

I never really liked these funny cut guitars for myself, but there were/are a few that look quite distinctive. I suppose if it were a bass I could get used to it.
I prefer the regular Chet Atkins/ Les Paul/ Bert Weedon shape. Of course bands such as 'The Who' did not care anyway, as they seemed to smash a lot of them up on stage.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Welll, I think it was originally by Horace..but it might have been Vergil...either way predating the Templars by a millenium or so.
Yes, butt-ugly is how I used to describe the Fly..."if it's not a strat or Les Paul it's not a guitar, sort of thing". However, given that strats ceased to be, in terms of quality, by 1971, and that getting a Gibson that had actually had some quality control exterted on its passage, was like shredding a haystack to get a needle...and basically because I have one, and it's impeccably engineered...and I can really get it to say what I want to say...it's ace.

Oh! I took it from 'Urban Dictionary', Shaun. It was the last little bit about oddballs that made me smile. Seems I should have used Wiki. Smile
And re- the Strats - you lose the quality, but think of the new technologies introduced. Like diamond paint. Rolleyes

Lumix LX5.

Oooer...diamond paint? Is that the same thing as carbon-glass or the new things they're doing with graphite? Very beyond me I confess, though as the owner of 2 instruments that have some carbon-graphite as either a major neck material or part of the outer skeleton, I find it of great value.
...ah, I've just thought: have I understood what you mean by diamond paint?