Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Space: The unneeded frontier.

We, in the UK have been treated to a 3 day Stargazers programme, on the subjects of, well, ... stars :o
We hear how the nearest planet which could be Earthlike is (I think), 600 light years away. That's further than Clacton to Melbourne, I think.
With space bound telescopes, radio telescopes and detectors of all kinds in and around the Earth, my question is "shouldn't we look in a little more, rather than spending £1000000000 looking out?

Cave canem

Where are you going to go when we fill the earth up with bodies. You can't just up and go, unless the apparatus is there.

On the same day as earthflight there was a program about a family of 16 with the 17th on the way..

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I understand what you are saying, but the possibility of travelling, a: at light speed, and b: for 600 years +, even if ever possible, would mean that the population problem would overrun us many years before we could act.
The logical course must be to address the problem, not run.

But, I didn't intend a discussion really, I suppose. How can there be one? There's no solution at present even worth considering, let alone spending £10000000 on.
Just thinking in text, really.

Cave canem

I read recently that travelling faster than light is a possibility. You wouldn't be able to see where you were going though. Big Grin

Education is the answer, which includes your thoughts and mine. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I've a feeling the "x zillion staaaars..." refrain from the trendy guy on telly with the lips, is merely the misleading tip of the iceberg, and that plans would be already under way to mine the moon and/or its satellites. Haven't they already come across the tricky finding that the speed of light is not as constant as they thought?

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Come on Rufus. It's only about 400 years since everybody except cranks, thought the earth was flat.
How much change have we witnessed in the last 100 years. I doubt I will be around to see the next 100, but at the rate we are going the answers will come. And I don't mean 42. Wink

Neither am I trying to get your back up. It is still a photographic site. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.

Yes, you may be right. In 100 years anything can happen.
No, my hackles aren't up, it's ok. I was only thinking out loud anyway.

Cave canem

By the way I feel similar to you, in that we seem to spend trillions on things that do not seem to improve the planet, but is it the planet we should improve or the people on it.
Thinking about the suicide bombers in Nigeria as I write this.
Uneducated loonies who are not satisfied with a hundred virgins in this life. Difficult I believe (not from experience let me say) Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Video 

Investment in space technology has a huge impact on the rest of society. Because of the moon program , we have everything from new fabrics, compputers, improved radar, digital everything the list goes on and on. Investing in space would jump start our economy, encourage our young to become engineers, and scientists instead of lawyers. (yuck) we will have a colony on the moon long before we send anyone to alpha centuri. There is a motherlode of rare and valuable minerals in the moons of jupiter just waiting to be mined.IdeaWink

"I did it my way" Cool

Aren't you curious?

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Yes, but if there is an afterlife, I may get the answers before you. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.

kind of an odd question and answer for the Christians unite group? Of course there is an afterlife, depending on you its either in the SMOKING or non smoking section.

"I did it my way" Cool

Funny sinatraman. From going through some of the old threads, there has been some controversy on some of the old posts, so if you see something strange - it may be.

I like the smoking or non-smoking section! Never really thought of it that way!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post