Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Frozen Fogo Island (Samyang Fisheye)

Today my spinal issues eased off a little, allowing me to get outside for just the second time since before Christmas! (you may recall that I have recently had to settle for snapping the odd photo from my bedroom window) But I took advantage of my first relatively pain-free day in several weeks by grabbing my Sony A550, (with Samyang 8mm fisheye attached) my car keys and a can of Coke, and I was out the door in a jiffy. But I wasn't out for long; although it was mild (1C) a cold wind was blowing, so I mostly shot from inside the car. (I'm such a baby!) Anyway, I managed to get some nice captures, including some Fogo Island longliners frozen in the harbour in the nearby town of Joe Batt's Arm.

The ice is quite thick; people were driving their snowmobiles on it, and I'm sure it could easily support the weight of cars. When I see these boats frozen at their moorings, it surprises me that the force of the ever-shifting ice (expansion/contraction/tides) doesn't seem to damage their hulls.

Here are two of my favorites from today, captured handheld with the A550 and my trusty Samyang (Rokinon) 8mm f/3.5 fisheye lens.

Glen
http://www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

[Image: DSC01202a900pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC01200a900pix-1.jpg]

Really nice tones and clarity. Smile
I wonder if the boats bobbing up and down on the waves keeps them loose from the ice, or the warmth of the hull itself. Just enough to leave a thin gap.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I love the greys in these and the way you rendered shadows. There are tiny halos around the masts of the boats. These are distracting.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Distracting, huh? Well, here is an explanation:

I use the free version of Photobucket for copying my images to this forum, and I am finding that the quality gets seriously compromised. A 900px-wide image (of about 800KB) ends up automatically getting reduced by Photobucket to just 250KB or less, for that same 900 pixel image. The difference between the two pics can be clearly seen. The masts/rigging in the original looks perfect. It is perfectly understandable to me, at least, that a resized sample photo posted to an online forum will not be an exact duplicate of a printed photograph.

Glen

St Elmo's fire. Natural phenomenon. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I can't see haloes..maybe the odd sharpening artefact from the auto-resizing.
Just a question: if quality gets seriously compromised, why not just resize/resample in your imaging software for output to ST and cut out the Photobucket part?

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Hi Dear Glen, how are you? I hope and wish you are fine. I haven't seen these photographs... As always so impressive and so beautiful... I missed your photography. Spring will be soon, I think...You can't believe but in here we had snowy days too Smile But not stayed long... Anyway, I would like to hear you dear Glen,

Blessing and Happiness,
with my love, nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Hello, dear Nia!

Where have you been lately? Linda and I have missed your posts! We are all doing well here; hope you and your family are fine also. We are still wishing that you and your husband will one day come to Fogo Island for a visit. I know that you would enjoy your time in this beautiful province of Newfoundland. Please write back to let us know what is new with you and your family.

Best regards,
Glen and family
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

(Feb 21, 2012, 16:25)camperbc Wrote:  Hello, dear Nia!

Where have you been lately? Linda and I have missed your posts! We are all doing well here; hope you and your family are fine also. We are still wishing that you and your husband will one day come to Fogo Island for a visit. I know that you would enjoy your time in this beautiful province of Newfoundland. Please write back to let us know what is new with you and your family.

Best regards,
Glen and family
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

I am so glad to hear you dear Glen! I missed your posts too... Please forgive me, that I didn't write to you... But you are always in my mind. This is a great dream for me to visit your beautiful country. I am so exciting too for this... But I am not sure when we can make it real... I will write to you soon. Thank you so much, greetings and Love for you all and for your beautiful Fogo Island.

Blessing and Happiness,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Hi camperbc,

Once again you show us what astonishing results can be obtained when someone is intimately familiar with the perspective of a fisheye lens. Thrilling stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post