Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Panasonic Lumix LX5 LCD Screen

I have had the LX5 now for around 12 months and a few months back I realised that the glass LCD screen is not glass, but actually the plastic cover of the LCD screen.
I never put a screensaver on thinking it was crystal glass, and now I have some small nicks on it. Blush I only realised, when I was rubbing it lightly with a fingernail (thinking it was a bit of my lunch) and got the moire that you get with flexible touch screens.
My old TZ5 screen was like bulletproof glass, and I assumed this would be the same.
A bit disappointed I am now even though it does not affect the photo's. (It's even got me talking Yoda-speak. The force must have left me. Rolleyes )

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Well, if it makes you feel better, my D700 has a tempered glass screen, and I scratched it in its very first week.

My panasonic TS3, which is a rugged and waterproof camera, also has a plastic LCD screen and has all sorts of fine scratches over it. I find that they're invisible when the camera is on, but it's still a nuisance. It seems silly to need to buy an M9P to have a screen that won't get marked.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I'm glad I bought a screen protector when I first got my 7D. It hard plastic and I got mine from eBay. Smile

A Old Canon IXUS that is a few years old on the other hand, has its anti reflective coating all scratched to bits. Ironic as we religiously keep it inside a case all the time.

My 350D had a glass screen until I had it Canon Approved serviced. You may remember it was broken in transit to me and they replaced it with a plastic one. But I put a screen protector on it when it came back.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(Feb 24, 2012, 17:49)matthew Wrote:  Well, if it makes you feel better, my D700 has a tempered glass screen, and I scratched it in its very first week...

Well, if it makes YOU feel better, I have already put a small scratch on the M9's LCD screen.

It makes me feel that with the price of the upmarket cameras, that something as cheap as a 20p screen protector could not be added to the kit, or even put on for you. The marks on mine must be from the plastic bits on the strap. There is nothing else to mark it. There could even be a warning in the manual. That would add nothing to the cost.
Still learning from hindsight.

Lumix LX5.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by a_orme
Oct 22, 2014, 13:06
Last Post by matthew
May 28, 2012, 19:27