Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

alpenglow

lots of people photograph 9100-ft Mt Shuksan, in the northern Cascades - it's probably the most photographed peak in the state, if not the entire Northwest. with the reflections you can get (if you happen to be there on a calm day) from the lake, it's easy to see why. but this shot, taken during the brief few moments as the sun sinks behind the hills, is a little different... the alpenglow has turned the rock and snow from their normal gray and white to shades of pink and deep dusty rose. the phenomenon doesn't occur every evening, and lasts only a few minutes, and if you aren't ready for it, you'll miss it. i was ready for it... Wink

[Image: Shuksanalpenglowsm.jpg]

~ Rocky
Any camera will record what you see, but YOU have to SEE!
Canon 5D & 40D; Canon 100-400L, Tamron SP17-35 and SP24-135
www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Wow! Wow! and once again.. Wow!

Totally breathtaking...

What a lovely glow and crystal clear reflection.

Amazing execution... well done!

That is stunning. 1920x1080 for my background? Haha, excellent work.

Yes please - I'd love to use that as my background too! Big Grin

(Mar 1, 2012, 07:48)admiralsfan Wrote:  That is stunning. 1920x1080 for my background? Haha, excellent work.

(Mar 1, 2012, 18:01)shuttertalk Wrote:  Yes please - I'd love to use that as my background too! Big Grin

that size is too big to upload as an attachment, but if you send me your email addresses, i'll send you the image sized to 1920x1080... just promise me you won't use it for anything other than a desktop, okay?

~ Rocky

(Mar 1, 2012, 22:39)squirl033 Wrote:  
(Mar 1, 2012, 07:48)admiralsfan Wrote:  That is stunning. 1920x1080 for my background? Haha, excellent work.

(Mar 1, 2012, 18:01)shuttertalk Wrote:  Yes please - I'd love to use that as my background too! Big Grin

that size is too big to upload as an attachment, but if you send me your email addresses, i'll send you the image sized to 1920x1080... just promise me you won't use it for anything other than a desktop, okay?

Of course, enlarge the watermark if you like. I sent you a PM.

Thanks a lot squirl033, it makes a fantastic background. Smile

wow! this is stunning!

Angela

Stunning - makes me want to kick weddings and go back to my first love of landscape photography.

Canon stuff.

Great shot, wonderful location.

I have visited Yosemite Hundreds of times and have never once got the slightest hint of Alpen Glow on either El Capitan or Half Dome.

(Mar 3, 2012, 21:20)thistledoo Wrote:  wow! this is stunning!

thank you, Thistledoo!

(Mar 4, 2012, 21:21)Wedding Shooter Wrote:  Stunning - makes me want to kick weddings and go back to my first love of landscape photography.

well, you can't make a living at landscapes as a general rule, but they're a heck of a lot less fussy than people! thanks for the comment! Big Grin

(Mar 4, 2012, 21:58)EnglishBob Wrote:  Great shot, wonderful location.

I have visited Yosemite Hundreds of times and have never once got the slightest hint of Alpen Glow on either El Capitan or Half Dome.

thanks, Bob. i've seen it several times here... maybe it's an elevation thing? Shuksan is 9000 feet high, and i've never seen the phenomenon occur on any peak lower than about 6-8000 feet...

~ Rocky