Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cameras Designed / Made in the US?

Now that Kodak is down the gurgler, I wonder why not more cameras are designed or made in the US? Surely the technical brilliance and funding is available to achieve photographically what Apple has done for the tech world.

Actually just thought of the Lytro which was created by a researcher from Stamford.

Know of any other models or concepts?

Meh...who gives a care where its manufactured? Americans have the same ability as others (and more opportunity). If they have the will, they will produce a good camera. If they don't, who cares?

One of the big issues with US industry is that they are completely consumed by the fiscal quarter. If your main focus does not extend further than 3 months its pretty hard to think strategically.

How about Polaroid. They are making cameras again. The latest model is an instant camera--digital camera with a built in printer.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Not meaning to generalise and I hate to make such a broad sweeping statement like this, but if we look at industries like auto makers, innovation tends to come from the west while the east tends to be excellent at competitive refinement and rapid incremental improvement.

I'm thinking as well of how visionaries like Apple have in the space of a few short years have shaken up the entire mobile phone and mobile computing industry and everyone else is just struggling to keep up.

Now the current Japanese camera makers are fantastic and I have nothing against them. Their products are a result of decades of innovation and refinement and are superb in every way.

In the Valley, we have a lot of fantastic ideas such as the Lytro but without the backing of a large corporation most of these will sadly never take flight or just be limited to concepts.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Feb 8, 2017, 15:35