Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pbase? Zenfolio? Smugmug?

I was about to revamp my pbase account, but started looking at other options. Anyone using these other photo hosting sites? Thoughts? Comments?

Or is life all about flickr and picasa/google+ now?

Slej!

Great to see you again. Miss your posts.

Anyway, I'm still using PBase. Its nothing fancy, but it has a good gallery presentation and I like how I can lock individual galleries with passwords. Great for showing client proofs.

I don't use any myself, but I've always been partial to SmugMug. They seem to be actively improving their features and listening user feedback.

That's said, Flickr is supposed to be launching a new revamped interface soon - hope it's good.

Welcome back!

I've been using smugmug as a host more than as a gallery, but it does have some configuration options that I've used to put a custom header on my page – other people with actual skill apparently can completely change the look of the pages, but that isn't me.

A typical 'public' gallery of mine: http://photo.matthewpiers.com/Web/Lakefill/

Pretty much every photo I've put online for the past five years has been hosted there, though. I use the 'pro' level account that automatically adds my watermarks to photos according to which gallery I put them in, and lets me change them as needed. I don't really ask for much, but that makes me happy.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks for the thoughts! Cool gallery Matthew; interesting theme!

If I stay with pbase it's largely because of inertia ... it's easy enough and does the job (and I didn't know you could lock galleries!)

On the other hand, pbase hasn't really changed much over the years, whereas the others seem to have better user interfaces and greater ability to customize.

There's always a trade-off.

Edit: just found this relatively recent review of photo sharing sites, for anyone else who might be interested:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/246129/be...sites.html

Hey Matthew, do you use it more of a portfolio or an online photo backup?

Smugmug advertise "unlimited photo and video" for their power and pro accounts - wonder how feasible it is to use it as an offsite photo backup...

(Mar 13, 2012, 20:13)slejhamer Wrote:  Edit: just found this relatively recent review of photo sharing sites, for anyone else who might be interested:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/246129/be...sites.html

Great link Mitch.. fairly recent too! I haven't heard much about zenfolio - just wondering what they're like...

I've used Flickr for a while, but much prefer my own galley on my own server, been using coppermine for years.

SmugMug IMHO. Good link and a decent review for SM. I haven't used Flickr in a while but a good SM account is worth the money.

Curiously, today I got a not-so-friendly notice from pbase that my account will be deleted in two months if I don't pay up! So I guess that's my timeframe for testing out services and making a decision, lol.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by leightonoc
Mar 16, 2010, 07:59