Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Quikdraw - lens mount holster system

This one can be described as innovative - one of those "I should have thought of that" ideas. Basically Quikdraw is a belt holster for your lenses that uses a lens mount to hold your lens in place, instead of bags. No more fumbling with clips or velcro when you want to change lenses.

You'll probably want to watch the video at the end of the page - it's pretty awesome to see it in action.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/15/quik...more-69506

For me personally I wouldn't see myself going out in public with my lenses hanging on my belt - there's definitely merits in a discreet camera bag. However, I think it would be very handy for professionals who need quick lens changes and their gear on hand at all times. I must say though I would be plenty nervous when changing lenses - if you didn't lock it in properly, there's nothing stopping your precious glass ending up on the floor.

Quickdraw is currently in kickstarter stage - i.e. he's trying to crowdsource funds to start manufacturing it.

I dunno. Looks like an idea fraught with peril to me.

1. East to fumble and drop.

2. Easy to bang your lens into something (no protection). No weather protection either.

3. Easy to steal lenses - grab and run

Looks like you would need a real camera bag to put these into between active shoots - you wouldn't frive or walk a great distance with those hanging off you. I can see where a pro could save a few precious seconds on a lens change using this system - but definitely a niche product IMO.

I do not like the fact that the lenses are not protected from pumps as you walk in a difficult terrain. For those of you not skinny and not young, clipping things to the belt takes some practice. I do have a belt holster to which I can attach a camera-lens combination and I like using it for short distances (with other lenses packed in my belt-pack). I consider belt-attached pouches such as those sold by ThinkTank (and others) clearly preferable. Pros use them to change lenses quickly. Belt-pack that I use can be easily rotated from the back or side to the front and at that point it serves as a handy "table" to switch lenses. I tried just about everything (including a vest), but for 3-4 lenses, beltpack is hard to beat. Very comfortable (no strain on shoulders or back like shoulder bags or backpacks), not hot (like a mesh photographer's vest or backpacks, slingbags), easy to get into (unlike backpacks). Expandable with optional compatible belt pouches, secure (rotate in front of you), tripod can be attached to the belt of the pack, waterproof, mine can be warn as a shoulder bag (but why would you). Surprisingly spacious (I often carry 3 largish lenses or 2 largish and 2 smaller lenses, all the filters, batteries, cleaning stuff, cable release, rain sleeve for the camera etc. I may need in the field. It can even accommodate additional charger, cables for uploading etc. )

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55