Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photography banned at London Olympics

Apparently when you buy tickets to the London Olympics, the terms and conditions on the ticket state that "Images, video and sound recordings of the Games taken by a Ticket Holder cannot be used for any purpose other than for private and domestic purposes and a Ticket Holder may not license, broadcast or publish video and/or sound recordings, including on social networking websites and the internet more generally".

I suppose that's to prevent people from live blogging or streaming stuff to the net when media agencies and networks have the paid for the rights to broadcast the footage. However, the 2nd part of the statement seems to say that publishing stuff on Facebook, twitter (i.e. social networking websites) seems to be out of bounds.

Also, I think it will come down to how the officials and security guards patrolling the crowds enforce their interpretation of the rules - all it takes is some overzealous guards to ruin the experience for snappers.

http://www.popphoto.com/news/2012/05/pho...e%E2%80%9D

We have a similar set of rules at the football grounds. Soccer to you across the pond. Either the F A or the Football League own the photo/video/recording rights. Difficult to police though.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Just about any televised sport has similar Terms and Conditions these days, the local Baseball team here won't even allow SLR's into the grounds without a press pass, and they are not televised!

Does it say that buying a ticket is agreement to these terms? I wonder if their rules are really binding and what they can do if someone posts an image. If the only way you can get in is to buy a ticket and the legal restrictions on you afterwords are very severe I wonder if they are enforceable.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

(May 14, 2012, 16:54)Don Schaeffer Wrote:  If the only way you can get in is to buy a ticket and the legal restrictions on you afterwords are very severe I wonder if they are enforceable.

There's enforceable and then there's enforceable. If you have a ticket to the Olympics or to a major sporting event, and they don't let you in because of your camera, you have missed the event, and so have lost - even if the security people that eject you are subsequently found to be exceeding their authority.

The cards are not stacked in the photographer's favor.

Trawling through links, I came across this. Bear in mind it is only a guide for security firms, (in the UK) but on private property, filming is allowed unless the landlord says not. In the case of the Olympics most venues will be on private property. Sports stadiums etc.
Still interesting though.

http://www.bsia.co.uk/web_images/Securit...de_002.pdf

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(May 14, 2012, 16:54)Don Schaeffer Wrote:  Does it say that buying a ticket is agreement to these terms? I wonder if their rules are really binding and what they can do if someone posts an image. If the only way you can get in is to buy a ticket and the legal restrictions on you afterwords are very severe I wonder if they are enforceable.

On my Football season ticket it says photography not permitted, although I have taken photo's. Blush

Lumix LX5.

More useful information on what's allowed and what's not at the London Olympics. Apparently DSLRs are allowed, as long as you meet the "nothing over 30cm" requirement, including lenses, tripods and monopods, and that everything including your camera bag fits under your seat (30 cm x 20 cm x 20 cm).

More info here...

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/lowe...mer_games/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post