Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canon, the Toyota of the Camera Industry?

A camera review was the last place I thought to look for an insight into the camera industry, but I thought this an almost throwaway quote from the field report of the Canon G1X from Luminous Landscape was gold:

Quote: Over the past few years Canon has increasingly become the Toyota of the camera industry. By this I mean – the biggest, but also the most conservative. Like Toyota, Canon makes quality products and it competes successfully in almost every segment that it chooses to. But, like Toyota its products usually fail to excite.

He also gives a summary of the other players:

Quote: Nikon's revival over the past five years has been nothing short of remarkable, and Sony is beginning to hit its stride. Sony is a fierce competitor and technology innovator in any market that they choose to enter, and the prosumer camera market is definitely centered in their sights. Fujifilm has developed a new and exciting niche and looks to become a major new force in the enthusiast marketplace. Panasonic and Olympus are continiously innovating in the mirrorless segment, and sales figures show that along with products from Sony and Samsung mirrorless is taking significant market-share, both at the low and mid ends of the market.

In other words, Canon cameras, like the G1X is representative of, is excellent in what it does but is also accompanied by a lot of "meh". There is no innovation, no excitement as it treads the safe, middle ground by taking an excellent product and simply refining it.

Thoughts?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post