Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Optimise your computer for Photo Editing

erm...SATA a good idea, max out on best-quality RAM. I wouldn't and don't trust HDs of any description, and certainly not solid state, to be dependable: just when your back is turned, Sod's Law comes into its random worst!
I've found that sorting out partitions sensibly and having 2 external drives as "double backup", along with an image of your HD, works for me.
Ther's also the Shed Phenomenon(my desccription): this Law states that no matter how large you build a shed, you will always overload it with pointless junk just because of the idea that one has a larger space to fill. Similarly, unless one sharpens up one's "workflow"(yuk, how I loathe that word) by defragging, heavily culling shots, apportioning best place for scratch-disc, reducing virtual memory size, getting on top of Lightroom's unruly and untidy sprawl, etc;...then I've found it pointless to get a larger machine.(The sheer amount of processing power needed just to run the O.S and the latest whizzy interface of one's fave imaging software is huge innit).
I have adopted "reverse" mentality, as I'm blowed if I'm upgrading a pc and OS and Adobe Whatever just to swat 100+MB tifs about. Funnily enough, I cottoned onto this whilst recording music: when I upgraded sequencing ware(Sonar 2 to 6), I found the interface was showier but clunky and wheezy, so I fiched the upgraded plugins and ran them in the earlier version. Thus, managing without CS' or LR's latest bells and whistles is an efficient way of not overloading one's system. Either way, I've found the best "upgrade" has been the mental one in terms of what to put in the "shed" and what to ensure I tidy away before, during and after.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Messages In This Thread
RE: Optimise your computer for Photo Editing - by Zig - Apr 26, 2012, 03:56

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59
Last Post by Sabion
Jun 12, 2020, 03:35