Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Portmeirion

A village built in the late 1900's on a site that cost (then) £5000, by Clough Williams-Ellis
It took a long time to complete, and some of the buildings were reclaimed and transported to the new site.
I had from 12.30 to 4.30 to have a 3 course luncheon and a photo session, whilst looking around. Tongue
Some of the buildings are holiday lets.

The day was a little dull with an occasional shower.
The meal was the best part.
A wiki link with more info about the village.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmeirion

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Makes me wonder what my town would look like if we all decided to splash some paint around...

Do they charge for entry? The buildings look really interesting - like a hotchpotch not just in terms of colours, but also with construction styles and materials.

(May 22, 2012, 19:27)Toad Wrote:  Makes me wonder what my town would look like if we all decided to splash some paint around...

Depends on the size of your town. (Perth, Sydney? Big Grin )
But this is done in "The best possible taste" as Kenny Everitt would say.
In certain views a scene sometimes looks gaudy but in the main you only see small bits at a time, due to trees and shrubs etc.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(May 22, 2012, 22:35)shuttertalk Wrote:  Do they charge for entry? The buildings look really interesting - like a hotchpotch not just in terms of colours, but also with construction styles and materials.

It is run now by a charitable trust (consisting of members of the family) as an Hotel and a number of self contained cottages or Self catering homes.
Quite pricey but certainly different. Film companies still film there and you could be dragged in as an extra. (Whooo!) Instant stardom if you are lucky. Big Grin
I put a link in the first post at the bottom, but here are the day prices, Apparently high to keep out too many (peasant) tourists. Undecided

Admission Charges 2012 inc 20% VAT
Adults £10.00
Children 4 - 16 years £6.00 (under 4 free)
HALF PRICE ENTRY from 3.30pm
FAMILY ENTRY TICKET:

2 Adults + 2 Children £30.00
2 Adults + 3 Children £35.00
2 Adults + 4 Children £40.00
2 Adults + 5 Children £45.00

HALF PRICE ENTRY  3.30pm - 7.30pm

Lumix LX5.