Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

beeing for columbines

These aqualegia seed themselves across gardens freely in many parts of the UK, often going by local or "folk" names such as Granny's Bonnet or the common Columbine. They are pretty and often many-coloured or with double-fllowers; "aqualegia" is a fitting name for its profusion, meaning "many waters".
Here I was prowling my garden with 70-200, looking for a suitable shot to turn into a card for Mothers' Day(a Victorian affectation...do you have this in the States or Canada?)...I noticed the bee flitting and banging about the garden, so grabbed this quickly as it was gathering pollen.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

(Jun 2, 2012, 07:41)Zig Wrote:  These aqualegia seed themselves across gardens freely in many parts of the UK, often going by local or "folk" names such as Granny's Bonnet or the common Columbine. They are pretty and often many-coloured or with double-fllowers; "aqualegia" is a fitting name for its profusion, meaning "many waters".
Here I was prowling my garden with 70-200, looking for a suitable shot to turn into a card for Mothers' Day(a Victorian affectation...do you have this in the States or Canada?)...I noticed the bee flitting and banging about the garden, so grabbed this quickly as it was gathering pollen.
A pretty shot.

I am not doubting you Zig, re the name. Wiki gives this version.
The genus name Aquilegia is derived from the Latin word for eagle (aquila), because the shape of the flower petals, which are said to resemble an eagle's claw.
"Columbine" is derived from the Latin word for pigeon (columba). Another old-fashioned name for this cottage garden plant is "Granny's Bonnet" as the shape of the bloom resembles the mob caps old women used to wear.

Dove was mentioned somewhere too.
I have two in my garden, both cultured rather than wild.

I first saw one and was captivated by the shape, in my courting days. Father in Law had one in his garden.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Very sweet. I really like the bee buried up to his shoulders in the pollen patch. He's into it - no lie. And yes, this would make a great Mother's Day card.

Ah yes, the Wiki police.
This must be right, as I'd been mis-spelling(ergo mistranslating) the word perfectly peacably till now.
Does anyone know why bees are so un-aerodynamic btw?

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

(Jun 2, 2012, 16:48)Zig Wrote:  Does anyone know why bees are so un-aerodynamic btw?

Haven't you seen how hairy those little things are? That's why you won't see any hairy swimmers or sprinters in the Olympics. Wink
And lets not forget all of the food they've got stored right there on their legs...

This is a beautiful photograph. I could very well see this on a Mother's Day card! It is beautiful enough to mass produce it although then it would not be unique! In other words, GREAT job!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!