Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

London England

Last weekend. A few mixed up shots.

The ladies with buttons, are "Pearly Queens" the men are Kings, and as far as I know are cockneys raised within the sound of Bow bells (Bow being a district of London, close to the River Thames. The buttons are all hand sewn on the dresses and suits. They were on a tube train one evening and I asked for a photo. they were very obliging. Sadly the shot of the other three ladies, was partly OOF. Before we got off they were singing old music hall songs.

1. View from St. Pauls Cathedral. A gallery above the dome. 85 metres from the floor and 528 steps up to it. Some narrow and not all with handrails. Of course if you kick the bucket you are part way there, Angel or else it's all downhill, Angry
[Image: 34yV5.jpg]

2. Shard (Highest building in London), and StrataTower (smaller one with 3 holes at the top) with wind turbines over Millenium Bridge, and the Tate Britain art gallery.
[Image: DwkF3.jpg]

Similar view a little to the right. The Thames runs right to left centre shot.
[Image: lFXic.jpg]
On the TV news the evening I took these shots, a window cleaner was rescued from the top of the Shard. There is a video on 'you tube'.

The Olympic rings under Tower Bridge. These were folded flat, until a couple of days ago.
[Image: 0jFXw.jpg]

Two lovely pearlies. There were three others on the opposite seat. Gave me a sweet too.
[Image: KOFpf.jpg]

Like a Disney fairytale palace. Tower Bridge floodlit. Very wet too that evening.
[Image: 2fsYU.jpg]

All taken with LX5.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Interesting. I'd never head of the Pearly Queens before. Is this what they wear all the time, or are they dressed up for some special occasion?

Special occasions I think. They raise money for charity among other things. They won't eat or rob you. Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearly_Kings_and_Queens

If you google 'Pearly king and queens', there is a lot of sites with info.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

The photo in the bus is quite beautiful and , of course, I love everything about London. Congrats!

Glad you like it. It was on the tube /underground railway. The best way to get around London.
The other way is the sightseeing buses or walking.

My wife wanted to go, and I wanted to see areas in which I worked when in the RAF. I worked within a minutes walk from Nelson's Column.

Lumix LX5.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by compasiune11
May 12, 2016, 06:28
Last Post by NT73
Sep 8, 2011, 03:54