Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Sugar Factory

Here's my latest project. I spent 5 days photographing the people working in the sugar factory of Ludus, Romania.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Nov 8, 2012, 11:48)vlad Wrote:  Here's my latest project. I spent 5 days photographing the people working in the sugar factory of Ludus, Romania.

Attached Files Image(s)

sugar

Attached Files Image(s)

some more

Attached Files Image(s)

and this is it.

Attached Files Image(s)

I hope you all like them. I'm interested in maybe narrowing the selection, or changing the order, so if you have any tips, I'd be greatfull.
Also, if you have any questions, I'll gladly respond. If time is on my side, I'll write a brief text describing the factory.

When posting in Critique, it is better to post single images or 2-3 at most, yout not going to get a lot of feedback on a bucket load at once.

This is a photographic project. A series. And a series usually contains 20 to 25 images. I cannot post single images. I am not even really that interested in receiving critique on single images. I'm interested in critique for the entire project, so I can give it it's most potent form. I hope I made it clearer Smile.
Thanks for stopping by.

I like it, you managed to capture the feeling in the factory. I'd have liked more photos like the last one, capturing more of the scenery, maybe even in the various manufacturing phases.

As a side note, how were you able to move around so freely taking photos there? I'd expect a stricter security, even though it's a small factory.

Reading the title, I was like - yaaaay - sweet yummy images coming. At first, I was kinda disappointed seeing it's not what I was hoping to see, but it's not a bad project. It shows reality of people and the factory, and hard life that stands behind sweet dust we all use in our everyday lives to make them sweeter.

I can't say I understand the ordering of photos, at least not in last two posts sorry Undecided I would go from outside to inside, then out again, finishing it with something sweet and warm like, I don't know, coffee break or something as a total contrast to hard life in the factory.

Btw, this one I really like Smile

[Image: attachment.php?aid=767]

(Nov 9, 2012, 04:06)Korry Wrote:  I can't say I understand the ordering of photos, at least not in last two posts sorry Undecided I would go from outside to inside, than out again, finishing it with something sweet and warm like, I don't know, coffee break or something as a total contrast to hard life in the factory.

I'd place them according to the manufacturing phase. I'm an engineer by trade and I think it'd bring some order to the whole project. Maybe end with a coffee break like you said, or some tea (with sugar, of course) Big Grin

Thank you all for the valuable feedback. My original intention was organising them according to the manufacturing process (I studied engineering too Big Grin) but my main focus was on the human factor and not the process itself. Don't think I have enough pictures documenting the process itself. I tried to make a blend, starting with the raw materials, the truck drivers that brought them, the people dressing up in the locker room and then working.
I like Korrys idea on the coffee break. The workers shared their hot sugary tea with me. Maybe I could clone the logo off the cup and use it?

The series was shot during a workshop held by Dragos Lumpan (www.lumpan.com), at a monastery 12 km from the factory. Out of the 12 participants , 2 of us chose the sugar factory. You can find 3 of each participants photos from their respective project here http://ligastudentilortm.blogspot.ro/201...meni2.html

Attached Files Image(s)

Cool idea! You should also look up F64's workshops in Bucharest or around the country.

Moved to Photo Stories.

Thanks

I would be interested in knowing more about the story of the sugar factory, since you mentioned it. Thanks!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Those are so cool. I think the first is my favorite. I like the lighting on the truck too.

Update: original post updated to provide "family friendly/family safe" focus within the photography forums. Please private message me if you have any questions.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post