Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Abandoned Mining Town

I had to go out of town yesterday and traveled through a nearby abondoned mining town. The town has been evacutated and I was taking some photos from the highway in my car - not the easiest thing to do. Undecided

I wished that I had more time to get more pictures but I think the ones I took turned our pretty good since I am using a Kodak EasyShare CD40. Maybe, for Christmas I can get me a better camera. I realized there were good shots I missed because of the limitations of the Kodak. Sad

Anyway, I hope you enjoy seeing what I did capture. I plan to go back with a better camera and get more eventually.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Here are a few more in the series. I used Batch Picture Resizer and I think it took away from the quality of the original picture, some. These are original photos with no retouching.

Here are a few more, some are better than others.

A few more of Picher, Oklahoma by the Kansas Oklahoma state line.

A few more photos.

I really wished I had a better camera when taking these. One of the last photos that is showing the housing addition had orange paint on them that said KEEP OUT. The housing additions were fairly new before they made the people leave the town due to health issues related to mining. I would have loved to zoom in more and capture the feeling of them being abandoned. Hopefully, you enjoy the overall theme of the photos. They are not much, but they do tell a story! Confused

You know what people say - the best camera is the one you have with you. Smile

I love abandoned places, stories they're telling, loneliness you can smell, that spooky calm and silence...and I really like your photo story. Thank you for sharing it Smile

Thanks Korry! I rarely have time as a mom to go somewhere and take photos like I would love to do. I had some extra time while driving and purposed to get at least a few shots along the way! Yes - some good pictures are usually better than no pictures at all!

Your images capture the essence of this town you depicted and an expensive camera has nothing to do with it. Thank you for sharing this with us!

I like the collapsing house/building one. Very neat! Looks like you stepped back in time.

Thanks Alessya and BrandyMaeD! I also like the storefront that is showing the hanging outfit that is all yellow and old looking. I thought that it gives the scene character and shows that it has been some time since anyone has even been there. There were very few buildings left standing - they have demolished so many of the homes. I have heard they are going to make a wetland out of the area.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by GrahamS
Jun 2, 2017, 03:15
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
May 7, 2014, 12:42