Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Basic Photoshop Tutorial?

I'm looking to expand my knowledge in Photoshop. I know how to do a couple of things and how to fiddle around with most of the settings, and so far I've only done minor color correction from Camera Raw and make my friends' heads' sizes bigger.

The problem is that I can't seem to stick with one tutorial - they're all either too complicated or explain stuff too in-depth ("you open files by clicking File, then clicking Open..."). Is there a more "hands-on" tutorial that you guys know of?

Have you tried the 'HELP' in photoshop.
Alternatively google 'photoshop tutorials' and then read a lot. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I watch Youtube videos. Make sure you are watching the videos for your type of photoshop. I have elements which is way different from full blown photoshop. There are a TON of good videos. I would start with one on layering and adding textures so you learn how to add layers, add a layer mask, edit masks, and things like that. Learning how to do that will help you with other edits that use masks.

Thanks BrandyMaeD! Most of what I already know in PS is from Youtube videos, and I guess it's not that bad, I'll keep searching for stuff as they pop up Smile

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pseleme...ources.htm

When you run out of the ones on this page, go to 'Basics' and then when you get better 'Home'.
This should keep you happy for a few years. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(Dec 12, 2012, 19:58)NT73 Wrote:  http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pseleme...ources.htm

When you run out of the ones on this page, go to 'Basics' and then when you get better 'Home'.
This should keep you happy for a few years. Big Grin

Awesome, thanks! I'll definitely bookmark this!

I did have some very good ones, but the site closed. So if you only bookmark, then someday they will be lost.
It doesn't take too long to copy a page and save somewhere to a file.

Lumix LX5.

(Dec 11, 2012, 10:20)kNox Wrote:  I'm looking to expand my knowledge in Photoshop. I know how to do a couple of things and how to fiddle around with most of the settings, and so far I've only done minor color correction from Camera Raw and make my friends' heads' sizes bigger.

The problem is that I can't seem to stick with one tutorial - they're all either too complicated or explain stuff too in-depth ("you open files by clicking File, then clicking Open..."). Is there a more "hands-on" tutorial that you guys know of?

1 Start with the basics.
2 Learn how to create and use layers.
3 create a simple document eg an A4 page, use the tools and put a coloured square in the middle
4 Experiment with the tools and learn what you can do with them.
5 Find a very simple image and try altering it different ways.
6 Always create a duplicate layer to work on.
7 Set specific aims for an image and use the net for tutorials on the task at hand.
8 Save on a regular basis to avoid losing all the work you have done.
9 Keep an eye on the time Photoshop as addictive when you find out all the things you can do.
10 Persevere, it gets easier.

(Jul 14, 2013, 08:31)lofty Wrote:  
(Dec 11, 2012, 10:20)kNox Wrote:  I'm looking to expand my knowledge in Photoshop. I know how to do a couple of things and how to fiddle around with most of the settings, and so far I've only done minor color correction from Camera Raw and make my friends' heads' sizes bigger.

1 Start with the basics.
2 Learn how to create and use layers.
3 create a simple document eg an A4 page, use the tools and put a coloured square in the middle
4 Experiment with the tools and learn what you can do with them.
5 Find a very simple image and try altering it different ways.
6 Always create a duplicate layer to work on.
7 Set specific aims for an image and use the net for tutorials on the task at hand.
8 Save on a regular basis to avoid losing all the work you have done.
9 Keep an eye on the time Photoshop as addictive when you find out all the things you can do.
10 Persevere, it gets easier.

Thanks for the tips! Every time I open up Photoshop for some very basic stuff that's pretty much what I'm doing, although I should always remember to create a duplicate layer...

If you want to work on raw files Nikon cameras ship with view nx2 that will open and let you modify raw.

Try this link and search for a view nx2 trial download

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/list

For raw images I use Camera Raw, the PS plugin. I don't do much, just touch up some details, and that's good with me. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post