Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Birds and flowers

I am very new at taking pictures and have enjoyed trying my hand at flowers, birds and bees. Using Canon 60 D with Canon Zoom Lens EF 70-300 for the birds and the squirrel I threw in and Canon Macro Lens EF 100 mm for the flowers and bees.
I'm not sure how many photos are appropriate to send at one time.                

Your photos lack sharpness. Do you manually select the focus point, or do you let the camera decide the focus area?

(Mar 7, 2013, 11:04)vlad Wrote:  Your photos lack sharpness. Do you manually select the focus point, or do you let the camera decide the focus area?

I do it manually.

(Mar 7, 2013, 11:51)razboop Wrote:  
(Mar 7, 2013, 11:04)vlad Wrote:  Your photos lack sharpness. Do you manually select the focus point, or do you let the camera decide the focus area?

I do it manually.

Your first image of the violet flower apears to be out of focus. In addition your aperture at f/2 creates a shallow depth of field which puts even more demand on focus. Your shutter speed was 1/1000 and ISO 1600. It seems as if that particular photo would not require that high of a shutter speed. ISO 1600 would create noise and amplify your lack of focus. If your photo was copped that would again increase focus problems and noise.
If your subject was suficiently lit I would suggest the following:
Smaller aperture (f/8)
Lower ISO (400 maximum)
slower shutter speed (1/60 minimum)
set auto focus to AF-s mode.

Hope this helps.

(Mar 15, 2013, 08:08)Jimbo9948 Wrote:  

I do it manually.

Your first image of the violet flower apears to be out of focus. In addition your aperture at f/2 creates a shallow depth of field which puts even more demand on focus. Your shutter speed was 1/1000 and ISO 1600. It seems as if that particular photo would not require that high of a shutter speed. ISO 1600 would create noise and amplify your lack of focus. If your photo was copped that would again increase focus problems and noise.
Smaller aperture (f/8)
Lower ISO (400 maximum)

Hope this helps.
YES! This helps a lot! I'll make notes of this and redo photo. I'll apply this tip to future photos. Thank you so much.

(Mar 15, 2013, 08:19)razboop Wrote:  

I do it manually.

Smaller aperture (f/8)
Lower ISO (400 maximum)

Hope this helps.
YES! This helps a lot! I'll make notes of this and redo photo. I'll apply this tip to future photos. Thank you so much.

What lense were you using?

(Mar 15, 2013, 08:23)Jimbo9948 Wrote:  

I do it manually.

Smaller aperture (f/8)
Lower ISO (400 maximum)

Hope this helps.

I used Canon Macro Lens EF 100mm 1:2.8 L IS USM
I have a 60d and I had it in Macro mode, but I don't use the auto focus. May be why the shutter speed and ISO was so high. The camera did that. I've been working on using Manual mode at all times. I get a bit frustrated, but I hear that it takes patience and diligence to learn it.

(Mar 15, 2013, 19:19)razboop Wrote:  
(Mar 15, 2013, 08:23)Jimbo9948 Wrote:  
(Mar 7, 2013, 11:51)razboop Wrote:  I do it manually.

Smaller aperture (f/8)
Lower ISO (400 maximum)

Hope this helps.

I used Canon Macro Lens EF 100mm 1:2.8 L IS USM
I have a 60d and I had it in Macro mode, but I don't use the auto focus. May be why the shutter speed and ISO was so high. The camera did that. I've been working on using Manual mode at all times. I get a bit frustrated, but I hear that it takes patience and diligence to learn it.

An added note: I also cropped it zoomed in with Elements. Not good, huh?

the heavy crop would explain the lack of quality. Try to keep it simple next time. I would use a ISO setting of 800, f 5.6, 1/500, given the same light levels. f4 to 8 is the sweetspot of that lens in terms of sharpness, and ISO 800 is still pretty clean. Though 400 would still be better. you need at least 1/100 shutter speed, for hand induced shake not to occur. If some terms are unfamiliar to you, google them or ask here Smile

(Mar 16, 2013, 04:14)vlad Wrote:  the heavy crop would explain the lack of quality. Try to keep it simple next time. I would use a ISO setting of 800, f 5.6, 1/500, given the same light levels. f4 to 8 is the sweetspot of that lens in terms of sharpness, and ISO 800 is still pretty clean. Though 400 would still be better. you need at least 1/100 shutter speed, for hand induced shake not to occur. If some terms are unfamiliar to you, google them or ask here Smile

I'm familiar with the terms. Thanks for your advice. As stated in an earlier reply, I did the focusing and the camera did the rest and I am now learning to do things in Manual Mode. I'll let up on the heavy cropping too.

Looking forward to your next shots!

(Mar 16, 2013, 11:06)vlad Wrote:  Looking forward to your next shots!
I have taken some shots of the same flower in Manual Mode and I haven't loaded it on the pc yet. We are having wind issues. It appears in the LCD that it is good. When the wind calms down, I'll take more, put them on the pc and see if they look better than the one you guys have critiqued. Perhaps I'll get a "very good" from you all. :-)

I have become anxious so I'm posting two retakes. I have done some extensive reading and decided to sans the micro lens for the time being and give the zoom lens a try.

The one with the flower on the left side:
300mm lens
f/5.6
1/100 sec
ISO 100
220mm
4.75 Aperture

The one with the flower on the right:
Everything is the same except it was taken at 300mm with aperture set at 5.

I must say that the last two images are a really big improvement! Great job!

(Mar 16, 2013, 15:20)alessya Wrote:  I must say that the last two images are a really big improvement! Great job!

Whoo Hoo!! THANKS!!

Your settings were as good as they can get. What I would try next is to see if I can find an angle that only allows the flower in the depth of field, thus rendering the green leafs out of focus. Your macro lens would be better suited for this. Using an open aperture and short focus distance the depth of field would be really narrow, creating a softer, different feel. Try playing with the depth of field and composition!

Well dude thanks to you for sharing that pics and i am very excited to see that you have lot of knowledge about it so please share me more pics about it mostly European people have like that pics because they have loved with the birds and flowers am i right dude??????????????SmileSmileSmileSmile

Re the last two, the leaves are sharper than the flower, are you hand held, or supported, auto or manual focus?? Ed.

Love the woodpecker. I have the same camera and macro lens, but without the IS. The lens is highly rated but it is still more difficult than you imagine it is going to be.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Aug 30, 2016, 12:40
Last Post by EdMak
Mar 3, 2016, 11:56
Last Post by EnglishBob
Oct 26, 2015, 13:25