Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Composition critique needed

Hello fellow shuttertalk, I believe it's time to take some of my photos to a new level. I need you to critique some of my photos to be posted here based on your knowledge and experience or whatever you have in mind. Please don't hold yourself judging it for I learn from others view. Ok here it goes:

This photo were taken in Singapore late 2010 after a few weeks I had this photo posted in FB for a theme related to numbers, right after I posted one known famous photographer comment says "it's obvious that this shot is poorly constructed" I ask her why and she didn't bother to make any comments. Now I wonder what did I do wrong making this image poorly constructed. Is it my composition, exposure or highlights?

Oh btw, forgive me for the watermark for I can't even remember which drive did I save the original file of the photo.

[Image: DSC_1909copy_zps48e2f876.jpg]

__________________________________________________________________________________
"Basic photography is my foundation but by continuous studying and learning from colleagues make me what I am today"
Click this link to see some of my works

I think the photo is very interesting...although I am not the professional here. I am still learning as we go...

Can you tell us a little more about the photograph? This is out of curiosity!

Others will be along to give you some good critique, in do time!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Thank you Barbara. The photograph is the center of the singapore flyer wheel. I think the highlights and shadows of this image still have details.

I compose the image using
- Rule of thirds
- Leading lines
- Keep it simple

Although I still can't think of anything how this image is still poorly constructed. Out of curiosity but through learning I wan't to know why and how will I make this right? Maybe some member here knows or have a view of this photo.

________________________________________________________________________________​__
"Basic photography is my foundation but by continuous studying and learning from colleagues make me what I am today"

It's not all about the rules, there is something in the story and/or feeling you'd like to show through your photo too Smile

Hope you don't mind, this is how I'd like to see it:

[Image: dsc1909copyzps48e2f876k.jpg]

I like the simplified, cropped version better.

No I don't mind Korry, in fact I'm so great to see a different version of the photograph and how it can turn more interesting than the previous one. Very good eye you have there Smile

Did you tweak on the saturation a little and a bit of straightening the image?

________________________________________________________________________________​​__

(Apr 12, 2013, 07:42)PhotoPlay Wrote:  No I don't mind Korry, in fact I'm so great to see a different version of the photograph and how it can turn more interesting than the previous one. Very good eye you have there Smile

Did you tweak on the saturation a little and a bit of straightening the image?

Thank you Blush

Yes, those few clicks would be all I did - saturnation to add some life and color, bit of straightening and crop.

Nice, sometimes too exposed looking at your own image can either you over do it or the other way around. It takes another viewer to change those perspective of yours to open and see a different better kind of type. Thanks Korry Smile

________________________________________________________________________________​​​__

The picture is interesting in itself.
Maybe it could have more drama, if you had positioned yourself in front of it rather than shooting heads up.
While doing so, you could also have tried to time your photographer such that the sun exactly appears to be in line with the center wheel giving you a feeling of the sun behind it, but the rays depicted by the spokes/lines.
I hope you can imagine this concept Smile

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers
Samy

(Apr 17, 2013, 13:30)samyshah Wrote:  The picture is interesting in itself.
Maybe it could have more drama, if you had positioned yourself in front of it rather than shooting heads up.
While doing so, you could also have tried to time your photographer such that the sun exactly appears to be in line with the center wheel giving you a feeling of the sun behind it, but the rays depicted by the spokes/lines.
I hope you can imagine this concept Smile

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers
Samy

Yeah I feel you samy. But positioning myself infront of that giant singapore flyer is imposible from where I am at. Imagine this is one big giant wheel. No way I could get into another building just to level myself with the wheel. Smile Same goes with the sun. It's is hard to manipulate things when nature comes in. That time of the month sun doesn't set or rise on horizontally on the wheel but vertically align in which I have a shot. Thanks anyway I see your point and it would be another great image if that so. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Aug 19, 2017, 03:37