Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

We had a storm here last night

I didn't really nail it.. I figured going to the car to get my umbrella was going to be risky Smile But... I always love lightning shots....

[Image: DSC_0018_low.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0020_low.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0025_low.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0026_low.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0027_low.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0032_low.jpg]

Then, of course, as I started driving home the real stuff started... oh well.. learning experience.

Camera: Nikon D70
Level: Eager Amateur
Area of speciality: Sceneries
Area of Learning: Portraiture

Mate, those shots are awesome! Especially No. 2! Big Grin

It was bad round my place as well - the power went off completely for about a minute... plus I think there were hailstones? In the middle of summer? Either that, or really heavy rain drops. Big Grin

hey, question.. I found that the longer I left the shutter open, the weaker the lightning bolt looked (if caught in the shot)... is this a correct statement.... Would my reasonably small aperture had something to do with it?

I had expected in that last one, as it was a capture of two different strikes, that they would be bright on my exposure given the dark background....

Thoughts?

Forgive me. I played with this a little.

[Image: 16_DSC_0025_low.jpg]

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

and this one.

[Image: 43_DSC_0020_low.jpg]

Don't hate me!

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Haven't tried this myself but from what i have read it helps if you can use manual shutter. Hold the shutter open, then close it straight after the lightning strike.

If you have two in the same exposure the second one is goind to washout the first and make it look much weaker.

ahhh ok... good plan bob... I've taken good shots of lightning during the day by shooting it with a fast shutter speed.. and I can understand that what you've said makes sense.

I will try this soon, as it's supposed to be stormy here for the next two weeks!!

Don, I like what you did with these, it made them more moody...

Here's my attempt from early this year Smile
[Image: IMG_1110cropped.jpg]

Great shot adam! What settings were you using?

Wow! Adam that is spectacular.

--Don

Your pictures are amazing gd! I like the most #1 and #2.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by GrahamS
Feb 10, 2017, 17:01