Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Glamour Shoot

[attachment=1427]I have only been a member here for about a week, but I am starting a photography business and would like other's opinions. I have a beauty shop and will be doing glamour shots of my clients. I welcome any critique you have to share. You may also edit or re-do my makeover if you care to. Please be as honest as you can. Thanks for your input. I know the lighting was not ideal, it was just a snap shot in my salon, in the future I will be shooting in my studio with better lighting.

Hi! I have mixed feelings about this photo. My main concern is that you 'took' about 10 years off, and.. well, it looks a bit fake. But then again, so do most of magazine photos.
Since this is commercial photography, if the client is happy then everything is all right.
Here's one of my favorite quotes on photography: "The basic quality of photography is that it should be believable" - Elliot Erwitt

Hi Hairnet1948

I'm sure your client would be happy with the result as "glamour" is all about beautification and style. Having said that it is in many regards superficial (glamour photography, not your picture) as you are not getting a true representation of what you are working with. It's about transformation with light, angles, composition, drama. I worked in Sydney as a fashion photographer for some years and without exception the end photo was not remotely visually similar to the model that presented for the session. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that; in fact it's a creative challenge and one that I thoroughly enjoy.

For an early attempt I think your image is quite acceptable and you will only get better. You've done the PP thing there but as you get into a studio and hence a more controlled environment you could achieve amazing results through high/low key lighting, professional hair/makeup and then with PP the sky is the limit (and a bit of imagination of course). All the best.

[attachment=1433]
(May 3, 2013, 18:38)Hairnet1948 Wrote:  I have only been a member here for about a week, but I am starting a photography business and would like other's opinions. I have a beauty shop and will be doing glamour shots of my clients. I welcome any critique you have to share. You may also edit or re-do my makeover if you care to. Please be as honest as you can. Thanks for your input. I know the lighting was not ideal, it was just a snap shot in my salon, in the future I will be shooting in my studio with better lighting.

Hi, your initial photo is a good detailed picture, however I think you went a little overboard with the makeover. For instance, the subject has a magnificent set of teeth, you've almost blown them away. Skin in my opinion should still show some original texture, after all, it's a photograph not a painting. Anyway I gave your photo a go and enclose a copy, regards, John.

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by vlad
Feb 11, 2013, 13:20