Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Close up

Can someone give me an opinion on this image, please? Just bought a macro lens.

Personally, I'd have loved the shot without the shadows, perhaps a different angle would have helped. Cool photo nonetheless.

I really like the movement in the image, the visual flow of leaves and flowers. This is an original kind of macro. It's more than a literal depiction of the flower.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

You should try simplifying your composition. Maybe just one flower in a single frame, and render just the flower sharp, using depth of field, and leave all the green stuff out of focus.

thanks, I was pleased just to get some of it in focus. More difficult than I thought it would be.

Personally, I like it! Look forward to seeing more!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(May 25, 2013, 14:31)Dean Wrote:  Can someone give me an opinion on this image, please? Just bought a macro lens.

I like it a lot, but I couldn't help my self. I have a Photoshop addiction. With your permission, I would like to show you what I did.

(May 27, 2013, 10:50)Hairnet1948 Wrote:  
(May 25, 2013, 14:31)Dean Wrote:  Can someone give me an opinion on this image, please? Just bought a macro lens.

I like it a lot, but I couldn't help my self. I have a Photoshop addiction. With your permission, I would like to show you what I did.

Be my Guest.

(May 27, 2013, 10:52)Dean Wrote:  

Be my Guest.

I also belong to the Uglyhedgehog forum and those folks can be very ugly if you post a variation on the orginal without permission.

Attached Files Image(s)

(May 27, 2013, 11:02)Hairnet1948 Wrote:  

Be my Guest.

I also belong to the Uglyhedgehog forum and those folks can be very ugly if you post a variation on the orginal without permission.
I think I liked the detail in the flower on the left, but thanks for your thoughts

I love the shadows, how did you get them to show up so well?

An olympus E-500, and a lot of crazy ideas.
http://www.dailywanders.blogspot.com

(May 27, 2013, 11:26)Dean Wrote:  
(May 27, 2013, 11:02)Hairnet1948 Wrote:  

Be my Guest.

I think I liked the detail in the flower on the left, but thanks for your thoughts

I told you that I am a Photoshop addict. I worked on it some more and made all of the flower details sharp. I lowered the lighting on the flower and the background by adjusting the Levels.

Attached Files Image(s)

(May 28, 2013, 11:05)Beckylouise Wrote:  I love the shadows, how did you get them to show up so well?
Thanks, Beckylouise. Just a little readjustment to the exposure whilst still a RAW file, followed by adjustment of levels and a bit of sharpening in Photoshop Elements.

(May 28, 2013, 15:15)Dean Wrote:  
(May 28, 2013, 11:05)Beckylouise Wrote:  I love the shadows, how did you get them to show up so well?
Thanks, Beckylouise. Just a little readjustment to the exposure whilst still a RAW file, followed by adjustment of levels and a bit of sharpening in Photoshop Elements.

Thank you Smile is it possible in JPEG? I have a rather elderly camera, which only takes small memory cards, so I don't tend to shoot in RAW! What elements version do you have?

(May 28, 2013, 16:59)Beckylouise Wrote:  

Thank you Smile is it possible in JPEG? I have a rather elderly camera, which only takes small memory cards, so I don't tend to shoot in RAW! What elements version do you have?
I have Elements version 9 though I do not use much of the options available. I generally click the auto enhance option first, and if do not like how that looks I will “play” with the other menu items. all not very scientific. I will usually finish off with a bit of sharpening. I do generally shoot in raw, if only so that I can leave the camera setting to auto ISO.
Having said that, I have just reopened the original raw file, converted it to JPEG without any corrections and then used enhance- adjust lighting- shadows/highlights, followed by auto sharpen. I think it has dealt with the overexposure of the top petal of the right hand flower better than my first attempt but not enhanced the shadows as well.

Attached Files Image(s)

(May 29, 2013, 08:51)Dean Wrote:  

I have Elements version 9 though I do not use much of the options available. I generally click the auto enhance option first, and if do not like how that looks I will “play” with the other menu items. all not very scientific. I will usually finish off with a bit of sharpening. I do generally shoot in raw, if only so that I can leave the camera setting to auto ISO.
Having said that, I have just reopened the original raw file, converted it to JPEG without any corrections and then used enhance- adjust lighting- shadows/highlights, followed by auto sharpen. I think it has dealt with the overexposure of the top petal of the right hand flower better than my first attempt but not enhanced the shadows as well.

Im jealous! I have elements 5! Still, it does the job! I'm terribly addicted to contrast, I love high contrast images but tend to go a little over the top. So much so, the printer won't print them!

(May 29, 2013, 11:29)Beckylouise Wrote:  

Im jealous! I have elements 5! Still, it does the job! I'm terribly addicted to contrast, I love high contrast images but tend to go a little over the top. So much so, the printer won't print them!
let’s see a few!

(May 29, 2013, 11:50)Dean Wrote:  
(May 29, 2013, 11:29)Beckylouise Wrote:  
(May 28, 2013, 15:15)Dean Wrote:  Thanks, Beckylouise. Just a little readjustment to the exposure whilst still a RAW file, followed by adjustment of levels and a bit of sharpening in Photoshop Elements.

let’s see a few!

I'll send you a few links; I haven't mastered uploading photos yet!

http://dailywanders.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...small.html
http://dailywanders.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...ucket.html
http://dailywanders.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...et-up.html
http://dailywanders.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...-rain.html
http://dailywanders.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...ative.html
http://dailywanders.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...world.html
http://dailywanders.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/shadows.html

Quite a few, but I can't choose between favourites! If you click on the image, it will go full size Smile

Lovely images Bex, and a great Blog. I am impressed with your work. Whatever it is you do, keep doing it.

(Jun 1, 2013, 07:33)Dean Wrote:  Lovely images Bex, and a great Blog. I am impressed with your work. Whatever it is you do, keep doing it.

Thank you Dean! Smile sadly, we're a few days behind with being in the middle of exam season. Ahh well, last exam Wednesday! Then time to catch up. Thankyou for your lovely comments, glad you like it!

(Jun 1, 2013, 09:43)Beckylouise Wrote:  
(Jun 1, 2013, 07:33)Dean Wrote:  Lovely images Bex, and a great Blog. I am impressed with your work. Whatever it is you do, keep doing it.

Thank you Dean! Smile sadly, we're a few days behind with being in the middle of exam season. Ahh well, last exam Wednesday! Then time to catch up. Thankyou for your lovely comments, glad you like it!

Best of luck with the exams.

(Jun 1, 2013, 09:56)Dean Wrote:  
(Jun 1, 2013, 09:43)Beckylouise Wrote:  

Best of luck with the exams.

thankyou Smile had biology today which was sole destroying! But on the bright side, I only have one left and it's my best subject!

Personally, I like the shadows and think they 'make' the photo. Macro fans are a funny bunch, some want just a small area in focus and the rest out of focus some want the whole thing in focus. I used a 50mm lens for 25 years without considering anything else, it was an interesting way to learn, some people will recommend using one lens only for say a week to learn how to work a photo. To this I agree but once I found telephoto, I was crazy with it for about two years. Now I'm back to a macro. As a friend once put it, opinions are like noses, everyone has one and they usually smell (a pun inside a pun).

(Jun 13, 2013, 11:17)fhayes Wrote:  Personally, I like the shadows and think they 'make' the photo. Macro fans are a funny bunch, some want just a small area in focus and the rest out of focus some want the whole thing in focus. I used a 50mm lens for 25 years without considering anything else, it was an interesting way to learn, some people will recommend using one lens only for say a week to learn how to work a photo. To this I agree but once I found telephoto, I was crazy with it for about two years. Now I'm back to a macro. As a friend once put it, opinions are like noses, everyone has one and they usually smell (a pun inside a pun).
Thanks. Only recently purchased the macro lens, so still enthused.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by adam
Dec 3, 2006, 05:33