Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Taking Distant Photo Shots

Here is a practicing digital photography challenge for our members. Take some time and shoot some distance photography this/next week. Look around for some unique and interesting views.

How unique of an image can you create for this digital photography assignment?

Can you tell us a little bit about the photography shot? Where it was taken, what you were trying to achieve? And so on?

Are you up to the challenge?

Please post some distance photos along with some info about your object and any other valuable info for the forum members!

Thanks for participating!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Something like this?

[Image: 9400746176_755b69b296_z.jpg]

There's not much to say about the photo - middle of the sea, night was falling and it was just point and shoot moment to kill the boredom.

Nice Korry - Thank you for posting!

(Jul 30, 2013, 05:19)Korry Wrote:  Something like this?

There's not much to say about the photo - middle of the sea, night was falling and it was just point and shoot moment to kill the boredom.

How about a few details, please? What lens did you use? What mode was the camera in? Where is the location? Were you in a boat too, or on land. Why the vertical view instead of horizontal (which would have really done justice to the wide angle lens. Anything else you can tell us.
Tom G

(Jul 30, 2013, 05:19)Korry Wrote:  Something like this?

Really awesome shot, Korry, congrats!

It is a nice shot, but yes, why that composition? Did you try landscape or zoomed out. Have you cropped it to any significant extent? Was there a foreground? You say night was falling; did you take any shots later, when light would, presumably, have been very different. Would also like to know the camera settings and whether any filters used. We can see a great many images on the net but, IMO, join a forum like this in the hope of improving out own technique. I think we learn from not only seeing the finished image but also seeing what was done and why.

Easy guys - it's long and hot summer here and I'm out of the house most of the time. Since my small phone doesn't like long posts, please, show some patience - I'll answer all your questions as soon as I sit at my computer desk Smile

Thread posts have been modified.

Korry - thank you for taking the time to post when you are able to in your time frame.

Positive feedback is welcome in this thread. Questions are okay as well as long as posts stay positive.

As promised... Smile

(Aug 3, 2013, 13:47)Tom G Wrote:  How about a few details, please? What lens did you use? What mode was the camera in? Where is the location? Were you in a boat too, or on land. Why the vertical view instead of horizontal (which would have really done justice to the wide angle lens. Anything else you can tell us.
Tom G

You could already see from my other posts that I'm not much into lenses - I'm very loyal to my HX1 compact and I'm always using it in P (almost manual) mode Smile

Here's the EXIF:
[Image: ef04.png]

The photo was taken in the middle of nowhere during the sailing trip over Adriatic sea, from the boat and there really isn't much to say about it - it was our boat on the one side and theirs on the other, and the rest is just - water Big Grin

(Aug 5, 2013, 07:54)Dean Wrote:  It is a nice shot, but yes, why that composition? Did you try landscape or zoomed out. Have you cropped it to any significant extent? Was there a foreground? You say night was falling; did you take any shots later, when light would, presumably, have been very different. Would also like to know the camera settings and whether any filters used. We can see a great many images on the net but, IMO, join a forum like this in the hope of improving out own technique. I think we learn from not only seeing the finished image but also seeing what was done and why.

I took several shots of the scene and I'm not sure why, but this one I liked the most. To be honest, the postprocessing on the photo was almost minimal - I've cropped out the fence of the boat, removed one red spot on the horizon and resized it. No filters, zoom or any 'chemistry' . Here's the resized original:
[Image: egvm.jpg]

And here is the landscape photo:
[Image: 9398009257_29485e72fe_c.jpg]
I don't know about you, but I really like the vertical composition better. And no, I don't have any later shots - my dearest camera is not quite good with dark shots and moving grounds and it was quite impossible to make a usable photo in those conditions. Also, the moon left the scene so it would just be the dark grainy and smudged boat on the dark water.

(Aug 5, 2013, 01:31)kNox Wrote:  Really awesome shot, Korry, congrats!

Thank you Smile

Thanks Korry. Interesting that amateur photographers often say that a red item in a photo will attract attention and the red item in your original image does distract you from the main subject. You were right to remove it. The fact that you were moving has given you some very different images and you were right about which one to choose. The position of the moon in relation to the boat is just wrong in the landscape. Also everything is too far over to the left. Like the baby bear’s porridge, your chosen image was “just right”.

Even knowing it was the Adriatic is helpful, or I should say interesting. If I am correct, your P&S has mode choices; and i would try Aperture Priority occasionally just to see what happens. If you are not familiar with "Modes" perhaps a more experienced person on this forum would help you get acquainted with them.

Also, you might want to up grade to a more sophisticated camera one day (I'm not necessarily suggesting a DSLR), as there are several great P&S's on the market such as the Canon G-15, or on the used market such as the Canon G-11 & 12 (Both have optical view finders and tiltable LCD's).

Just a thought...

Tom

(Aug 10, 2013, 05:49)Tom G Wrote:  Even knowing it was the Adriatic is helpful, or I should say interesting. If I am correct, your P&S has mode choices; and i would try Aperture Priority occasionally just to see what happens. If you are not familiar with "Modes" perhaps a more experienced person on this forum would help you get acquainted with them.

Also, you might want to up grade to a more sophisticated camera one day (I'm not necessarily suggesting a DSLR), as there are several great P&S's on the market such as the Canon G-15, or on the used market such as the Canon G-11 & 12 (Both have optical view finders and tiltable LCD's).

Just a thought...

Tom

Thank you for your advices. I'm familiar with every single feature of my camera including all available modes. The mode that I'm using is not because I don't know what another buttons do, but because I'm getting the results I want.

DSLR is on my wish list, but has to wait few more days/months (or years lol) Wink

Realize that I'm a bit late coming into this challenge, but thought I might share this shot with this knowledgeable group.

Background info - had gone out on the deck in hopes of getting a shot or two of early morning mist rising off the lake. Had focused the camera with that in mind when this arrived. Forgot the mist! Wished there could have been time for another shot, but was too startled to do more than grab the camera and get out of the way as this bird buzzed me. Comments and critiques more than welcome - this photo was such an unexpected opportunity...

brief exif info
Fuji fine pix S4300
focal length 57.7 mm
exosure time 1/500s
aperture f5.15
landscape mode

Have since cropped it again, so can put that one up if anyone would like to see it.

Liz

Attached Files Image(s)

Forgot to mention - the above bird is a Great Blue Heron

It is the largest North American heron and, among all extant herons, it is surpassed only by the Goliath Heron and the White-bellied Heron. It has head-to-tail length of 91–137 cm (36–54 in), a wingspan of 167–201 cm (66–79 in), a height of 115–138 cm (45–54 in), and a weight of 2.1–3.6 kg (4.6–7.9 lb) ( grabbed this info. from an on-line site, BTW)

Liz

Liz - thank you for posting in this thread. Others will be along to add some comments and critique! :0)

Arboretum - 2013

[Image: 8206540529_087b425f8e_h.jpg]

Controversial shot, any colour other than white, then the house would have been lost, overpowered by the ghostly tree, but this to me succeeds, a cracker. Ed.

Loch Ness looking from Castle Urquhart side, towards Inverfarigaig side. The Loch is massive, holding more fresh water than ALL the other lakes in England, Scotland and Wales put together. She's twenty two and a half miles long and between one and one and a half miles wide. She has a depth of 754 feet with the bottom being described as being 'as flat as a bowling green'. It is said that this Loch has never been known to have frozen.

Techie bits.

Nikon D300, F/11, 400th/sec, 18mm, ISO200, Exp +0.3, Aperture Priority, White Balance Auto.

HELLO THIS IS LONG SHOT OF THE 7BRIDGE NIKON D800 NIKON 300VR TRIPOD MOUNTED VR OFF, CHEERS AS

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Basil,

Welcome to the forum. Where did you take the shot from? It's a very thoughtful composition.

Regards.

Phil.

(Feb 12, 2014, 13:45)basil Wrote:  HELLO THIS IS LONG SHOT OF THE 7BRIDGE NIKON D800 NIKON 300VR TRIPOD MOUNTED VR OFF, CHEERS AS

Please clarify the name of the bridge in your photo. Is this the bridge over the River Severn between England and Wales or is a bridge over the River Seven in North Yorkshire?

(Feb 12, 2014, 14:40)Phil J Wrote:  Hi Basil,

Welcome to the forum. Where did you take the shot from? It's a very thoughtful composition.

Regards.

Phil.
ITS RATHER DIFFICULT TO EXPLAIN WHERE I WAS AS YOU KNOW ITS THE 2ND BRIDGE AND IM UNDER IT AND BACK ALONG THE BANK ITS QUITE EASY TO GET TO IF YOUR IN WALES LOL BAS