Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Keeping a Back Up Camera - Do you?

Do you keep a back up camera with you on your adventures? Looking forward to your comments and discussions! Thanks for sharing! Smile

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Sep 5, 2013, 13:26)Barbara G. Wrote:  Do you keep a back up camera with you on your adventures? Looking forward to your comments and discussions! Thanks for sharing! Smile
My main camera is a Canon 7D and my back up camera is a Canon 40D. I am really not sure why I keep the 40D as I have never "needed" it and I rarely use it. I am giving serious thought to passing it on to my granddaughter.

(Sep 7, 2013, 10:34)olcoach Wrote:  
(Sep 5, 2013, 13:26)Barbara G. Wrote:  Do you keep a back up camera with you on your adventures? Looking forward to your comments and discussions! Thanks for sharing! Smile

My main camera is a Canon 7D and my back up camera is a Canon 40D. I am really not sure why I keep the 40D as I have never "needed" it and I rarely use it. I am giving serious thought to passing it on to my granddaughter.

I ALWAYS have a second body and at least 2 other lenses with me whenever I'm shooting. And since I bought a D2xs, I'v been bringing both my D200's. I don't want to EVER miss a shot because my ONLY camera/lens died. I get paid to get the shot, not to make excuses.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

I have a Nikon D90 and a Nikon D5000 as a back up. I also have medium format and 35mm cameras which all have back ups!

I kept my 5D when I bought my 1D X and it, the 5D, goes everywhere I travel. That way, I always have a backup. I have been to Africa a couple of times and have found that the second camera is quite handy. I shoot with a 100-400mmL IS lens on my 1D X for most of the game shots and put my 24-105 on my 5D for those scenics when the 100-400 is just too long. That way, I always have the telephoto ready and I don't spend a lot of time changing lenses when I am out on a game drive.

I figure that I spend a bit of $$ to get to some of these more remote places and I do not want to be without a second DSLR if my primary one has problems.

WesternGuy

Never carried a backup for first 20+ years, then used a roll film as backup, although carried primarily to use if ran out of plates. In 51 years, never has a mishap, just lucky? Ed.

(Nov 27, 2013, 05:52)EdMak Wrote:  Never carried a backup for first 20+ years, then used a roll film as backup, although carried primarily to use if ran out of plates. In 51 years, never has a mishap, just lucky? Ed.

EdMak;

What did you carry as a primary?

2HowardsPhoto.biz

Initially, a Goertz, 1/4 Plate, with 12 slides. Then a VN with 24 slides, as pic, (Luxury) Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Nov 27, 2013, 10:47)EdMak Wrote:  Initially, a Goertz, 1/4 Plate, with 12 slides. Then a VN with 24 slides, as pic, (Luxury) Ed.

Well.....No wonder you didn't have any failures. There's practically nothing to GO wrong.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

I recommend getting a smartphone with a decent camera. Easy to carry and always with you!

I never go out photographing with just one camera. Last Sunday I was out with my Canon EOS 650D, Pentax Spotmatic SP1000 and Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/16. It is not so much about having a back-up, more to do with the cameras record in different ways and I like having the choice.

Wall-e I meant no failures, all cameras, in 51 years! Cheers. Ed.

Before no I don't but since I learn from my mistake, I do from then on Smile Use my Nikon D700 as primary and D90 as backup. Lens I always carry my 18-135mm with me attach to my D90 and it never get off on that body ever since Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

(Nov 27, 2013, 17:57)PhotoPlay Wrote:  Before no I don't but since I learn from my mistake, I do from then on Smile Use my Nikon D700 as primary and D90 as backup. Lens I always carry my 18-135mm with me attach to my D90 and it never get off on that body ever since Smile

Hmm, would you recommend the 18-135 over the 18-105? I suppose there's quite the price difference, but is it worth it?

(Nov 28, 2013, 03:54)kNox Wrote:  Hmm, would you recommend the 18-135 over the 18-105? I suppose there's quite the price difference, but is it worth it?

I got my 18-135 with my Nikon D80 as a kit before. Yes I would recommend 18-135 but would also go anything that covers great ranges like going higher from 18-200,300 if I would had chances before. Other basis for lens comparison stay the same except for its range and pricing Smile

Oh I also forgot, during wedding coverage I do have another 1 back up Nikon D80 that only stays in the bag just in case for failure of backup cam I still have one within the area.

PhotoPlay Photography
~Eleanor Powell

And, what I finished up with, Rollie was backup Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Real nostalgic kit there Ed. Smile

What have been known as 'proper cameras'. !!

Regards.

Phil.

(Nov 28, 2013, 14:53)EdMak Wrote:  And, what I finished up with, Rollie was backup Ed.

Are you still using this camera Ed?

PhotoPlay Photography
~Eleanor Powell

Last used about 10/12 years ago. Gave it to a friend who worked with me, 2 years ago, he does use it. A square neg never appealed to me, had a 16 on attachment, which was better. Used this Olympus, both expensive and scarce on release, about 2 years ago, was disappointed with results, had negs scanned onto a CD, but to me, results were poor. In next few months will have to make an effort to dispose of about 40/50 cameras, including two 10x8" plate cameras, used when I started work, complete with case and plate holders. Hope to take a pic of all, will post when done. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Yes I do maybe not every single time I'm out shooting but if it is a special event and or an exceptional day weather wise I will tote along with me a back up camera. My dilemma at times is what lenses should I bring ? A sweet dilemma for an amateur photographer I must say. Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation ? Ron KWinkBig Grin

No problem to me Ron, only have one camera, one lens! Ed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post