Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

photos with special lighting

hoping to go to a railway museum photography night where the locomotives are to be lit with lights either behind or from underneath also coloured lights any tips please

Boy that sounds cool. I'm a rookie too but depending on the light I would have a ball with angles and available light. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Post some pic please.

What camera John. What exactly do you mean by, Behind, and, Underneath. Welcome to the Forum. Ed.

(Sep 20, 2013, 08:45)locksmithjohn Wrote:  
hoping to go to a railway museum photography night where the locomotives are to be lit with lights either behind or from underneath also coloured lights any tips please

Tripod.
Fastest lens you've got.
Flash to fill in where the lighting doesn't cover.
Adjust your exposure to match the available light, then add just enough flash to bring out the details.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Sep 20, 2013, 15:22)Wall-E Wrote:  some of the lights are positioned under the locos and all different places around them
if you can get the website from York railway museum in gb they did it last year and pictures are on ther then you will see what I mean

and thanks for info

Tripod.
Fastest lens you've got.
Adjust your exposure to match the available light, then add just enough flash to bring out the details.

Had a look at the site. Perhaps you may not be allowed flash, if yes, in many instances it may negate the lighting effect. Expect it will be busy, so a tripod may be a hindrance, Monopod? Did not say what camera you are using, but start on Prog setting, check results, if not happy with colours, try different White Balance settings. Could be longish exposure, so ISO setting would help, personally, would not go above 800. Take plenty, try other settings, Night, if available. With correct software, post processing, would be helpful. Hope to see results. Bear in mind, Website pics, may well have been taken Professionally, and, in private. Ed.

(Sep 21, 2013, 07:37)EdMak Wrote:  camera is Nikon D40
take pics of steam locos a lot but never like those
Had a look at the site. Perhaps you may not be allowed flash, if yes, in many instances it may negate the lighting effect. Expect it will be busy, so a tripod may be a hindrance, Monopod? Did not say what camera you are using, but start on Prog setting, check results, if not happy with colours, try different White Balance settings. Could be longish exposure, so ISO setting would help, personally, would not go above 800. Take plenty, try other settings, Night, if available. With correct software, post processing, would be helpful. Hope to see results. Bear in mind, Website pics, may well have been taken Professionally, and, in private. Ed.

Welcome to the forum locksmithjohn! Glad to have you here and look forward to seeing some of your work! I love your idea - brings back good memories of my dad! Look forward to seeing some pics!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Sep 21, 2013, 04:11)locksmithjohn Wrote:  
(Sep 20, 2013, 15:22)Wall-E Wrote:  some of the lights are positioned under the locos and all different places around them
if you can get the website from York railway museum in gb they did it last year and pictures are on ther then you will see what I mean

and thanks for info
Tripod.
Fastest lens you've got.

Having had a look at last years pics, ditch the flash.
It would ruin the effects.
I believe a tripod or monopod would be a great help.
Still need a fast lens.

Couple of pointers in asking questions and replying in a forum like this.
First, give as much detail as you can right at the outset. It gets you better answers, faster.
Second, either put your reply all the way above or completely below the post you're quoting. Putting it in the middle is confusing.

Good Luck at the event! Looks like a wonderful time for rail enthusiasts.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Sep 21, 2013, 15:43)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Sep 21, 2013, 04:11)locksmithjohn Wrote:  

and thanks for info
Tripod.
Fastest lens you've got.

Having had a look at last years pics, ditch the flash.
It would ruin the effects.
I believe a tripod or monopod would be a great help.
Still need a fast lens.

Couple of pointers in asking questions and replying in a forum like this.
First, give as much detail as you can right at the outset. It gets you better answers, faster.
Second, either put your reply all the way above or completely below the post you're quoting. Putting it in the middle is confusing.

Good Luck at the event! Looks like a wonderful time for rail enthusiasts.

thanks for info don't go till end of October see what happens

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post