Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cliffs at Kilmuir, Isle of Skye

I'm determined to get my money's worth from that trip to Skye but I'm not sure which of these I prefer.

[Image: Kilmuircolour_zpse9940190.jpg]

[Image: Kilmuirsepia_zps058c2d2b.jpg]

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.”
Ansel Adams

They both give you a different feel...At first, I would personally say the first one. Then, after looking at them both a few more minutes..the second one drew me in. Depends on what you are wanting to achieve.

Looking forward to seeing what others say! Thank you for sharing with us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Thanks for your observation Barbara and therein lies my problem - what I'm trying to achieve. I was aiming for an 'old fashioned' look (image shot from the site of a reconstructed group of croft houses from the 19th century). The first image has a kind of 'bleached-out' look like an early photograph, the second is the traditional old sepia look but, to me, that one conveys more 'mood'.
I'll wait to see what others think.

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.”
Ansel Adams

Both have vintage look about them, but, personally, I prefer the sepia toned image.

Prefer the second one. Ed.

I'd go for the second one too

Dean, Ed and Vik, thank you for your feedback. I'm probably in agreement with you on this.
James

Ansel Adams

Hello James.

The monochrome version is the crisper image, and the conversion has revealed more shadow detail than is evident in the colour photo. Personally, I prefer the monochrome, but I think it looks an even more dramatic and timeless shot when the sepia toning is removed to give just a straight B&W conversion.

One more for MrB.

[Image: Kilmuirbampw_zpsba482281.jpg]

Ansel Adams

Thank you, James. As I wrote before -

(Oct 26, 2013, 20:36)MrB Wrote:  I prefer the monochrome, but I think it looks an even more dramatic and timeless shot when the sepia toning is removed to give just a straight B&W conversion.

But it is your image - what do you think?

(Oct 27, 2013, 05:16)MrB Wrote:  Thank you, James. As I wrote before -

(Oct 26, 2013, 20:36)MrB Wrote:  I prefer the monochrome, but I think it looks an even more dramatic and timeless shot when the sepia toning is removed to give just a straight B&W conversion.

But it is your image - what do you think?

Me? I'm stumped now. I've been playing around with it so much that I've lost the will to live. Nothing for it but to abandon ship on this one.

Ansel Adams

(Oct 21, 2013, 15:04)James Tate Wrote:  I'm determined to get my money's worth from that trip to Skye but I'm not sure which of these I prefer.

[Image: Kilmuircolour_zpse9940190.jpg]

[Image: Kilmuirsepia_zps058c2d2b.jpg]

I like the color version best. The black and white could work but it has to have better whites and more contrast. I don't think the color cast works.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by shuttertalk
Jan 22, 2006, 16:50