Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kilt Rock ominous

Kilt Rock on the Isle of Skye (with a bit of drama added)

[Image: KiltRockbw1200_zps02488153.jpg]

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.”
Ansel Adams

Definitely dramatic, how far away from original? Ed.

Yes, I like that one a lot. Well done.

nice one - lot of power

Interesting and powerful image. You see it right form the start. I 2nd the motion on Ed.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Thanks for the kind comments. This is the original image

[Image: KiltRock1200_zps0adb30b2.jpg]

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.”
Ansel Adams

It is a very nice image, James, and the B&W is very dramatic - good conversion.

Both seem a little on the soft side - is that intentional, or have they lost a bit of their craggy sharpness during down-sizing for the Web?

Philip

(Nov 2, 2013, 04:41)MrB Wrote:  It is a very nice image, James, and the B&W is very dramatic - good conversion.

Both seem a little on the soft side - is that intentional, or have they lost a bit of their craggy sharpness during down-sizing for the Web?

Philip

Thanks for your comments Philip but not sure what you mean by 'soft'...

Ansel Adams

(Nov 2, 2013, 04:51)James Tate Wrote:  Thanks for your comments Philip but not sure what you mean by 'soft'...

Sorry, James - soft is the opposite of sharp. They don't look quite as sharp as perhaps they should (particularly the colour one). But that's just my opinion, of course.

Philip

Hmm...still can't see it. Maybe I need new specs or perhaps I'm just a lousy photographer.

Ansel Adams

new specs, maybe - lousy photographer, No - despite the crit, this is still a good image - you got a good eye, you just need to practice the tech stuff a little more - you'll see what they mean when you've done some yourself

James, Vik has put it well. Note that you have lots of positive support here, including - "It is a very nice image, James, and the B&W is very dramatic - good conversion" - from me.

In critique there can be comments on matters of both fact and opinion. It is a fact that the image could be sharper (this is some tech stuff). It is only my opinion that it should be sharpened a little, others might disagree.

A technical point is that down-sizing an image ready to put on the Web can make it softer (less sharp). Also, some web site software might down-size an image, if it is posted bigger than it can display, and this can make it softer. So it is best to down-size each image to be within the correct dimensions for the web site, and then to sharpen it if required, before posting it.

Once again please note that there is a consensus that you have a good image here, and what really matters is that it satisfies you.

Philip

Like a bit of drama and it has plenty off it, agree with comments on softness of image and IMO a little less vignetting maybe. Good capture Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post