Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which do you prefer?

Want to give one as a Xmas present, A3, their house name is Bridgetree, and Newcastle connections, which one. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

I do not see these full picture, on Internet Explorer, OK on Safari? Ed.

Hi Ed, I have a preference for the second. There is more emphasis on the bridge followed by the tree. To me it matches the house name.

Are you seeing a building at the far right, thanks. Ed.

I get as far right as the bridge tower support which is followed (to the right) by a street light.
I use IE11. If I click on the pic I do not get a new window. Click on the bar and I get roughly the left half of the pic. Mike

Further To Last Post: Have just found that Window is loading, but not on this page. It is in fact loading Before my Homepage and is fully functional + or -.

(Nov 17, 2013, 04:42)EdMak Wrote:  Want to give one as a Xmas present, A3, their house name is Bridgetree, and Newcastle connections, which one. Ed.

To be honest, Ed, I'm not keen on either of them - the composition is just too complex for me, with all the detail of the tree conflicting with all the detail of the bridge and beyond. But if forced to select a preference, it would be the second, as it seems easier to see through the tree.

Philip

(Nov 17, 2013, 04:42)EdMak Wrote:  Want to give one as a Xmas present, A3, their house name is Bridgetree, and Newcastle connections, which one. Ed.

I like trees and prefer the silhouette. But in front of the bridge is just looks like a distraction.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Yeah I agree. But If I have to choose which one is better from this two I would choose the second image. First image is battle between the tree and the bridge but the second give a blend of the tree and the bridge Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

The second image matches the title well Smile

My vote goes to the first one. Not because of my own preferences but because it will look way better when hanged on the wall than the second one.

Number two is the one I'd go for. Especially considering the original purpose of the photograph.

Well that's my tanners worth anyway.

Phil.

The second one for me where no fill-in flash has been used. It's simpler and less confusing it's also more colourful and expresses the house name better I feel.

Gil

(Nov 17, 2013, 05:52)EdMak Wrote:  I do not see these full picture, on Internet Explorer, OK on Safari? Ed.

I found that by right clicking on the image and choosing 'reload' they reduced in size.
I use Firefox but I assume it will work O.K. with whatever browser you use.

Gil

I really like the 2nd photo. Don't care so much for the first as the tree is too prominent.
I like the colour, the muted purple. But especially I like the repeating of the trees and the curves of the bridge. Beautiful comp. The one small nit, the bright blue on the right is slightly distracting. I think what really appeals to me is the organic lines of the trees contrasting with with the man made curves and straight lines of the construction.

Thanks for comments.

I posted this reply on another thread about this pic. Ed.

Firstly, I do not really like this!! Taken May 2010, very early digital days.

Three of us went down, 60 miles, to see the Gateshead Millennium Bridge, and take some pics. Rain eventually stopped play.

A few weeks later, when we had shared efforts, unknown to me, friend entered one from each of us, into an on line competition The bottom pic was his choice from me. The top one was flash, built in, Konica Minolts Maxuum 5, other, natural light, both taken within one minute.

I got highly commended. Comments were, good uprights, liked the curve of the Bridge repeated in the Glass buildings, and continued in the Millennium Bridge, bottom left, (I was not aware it was there when taken). Front tree repeated, twice behind and to the left. Good overall composition. I had to trim base as seen, there is a car right underneath it.

(Nov 27, 2013, 05:56)EdMak Wrote:  Thanks for comments.

I posted this reply on another thread about this pic. Ed.

Firstly, I do not really like this!! Taken May 2010, very early digital days.

Three of us went down, 60 miles, to see the Gateshead Millennium Bridge, and take some pics. Rain eventually stopped play.

A few weeks later, when we had shared efforts, unknown to me, friend entered one from each of us, into an on line competition The bottom pic was his choice from me. The top one was flash, built in, Konica Minolts Maxuum 5, other, natural light, both taken within one minute.

I got highly commended. Comments were, good uprights, liked the curve of the Bridge repeated in the Glass buildings, and continued in the Millennium Bridge, bottom left, (I was not aware it was there when taken). Front tree repeated, twice behind and to the left. Good overall composition. I had to trim base as seen, there is a car right underneath it.

Ed, ref the bit I've emboldened. This is obviously down to a mixture of many years experience combined with your natural talent, something which others amongst us (ME) can only aspire to. I love landscapes and seascapes, but try as I might there are many others who beat me hands down. You and Dean are two examples of this. Sad

Regards.

Phil.

Phil,thank you. A story!!
Early working days, 50's, a good selling book was, My 1000 Best Negatives, (Or similar). Detailed Camera/Lens, exposure, developer used and time/temp/agitation developed, Paper printed on, and a lot more, (now called EXIF).
A customer, and good amateur wanted to send one to his Nephew, and asked us to post it. He wrote something on the inside, which I have never forgotten, it was. "THESE ARE ALL THE GOOD ONES, NO MENTION OF THE BAD". Still apt today. Regards. Ed.

The second is a tad better. They are too busy. I would give it 7/10.

Thanks Conti, I gave it 5. Regards and Welcome. Ed.

(Dec 3, 2013, 13:29)EdMak Wrote:  Thanks Conti, I gave it 5. Regards and Welcome. Ed.

Don't be so harsh on yourself, I'd also give it a 7 at least!