Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scenes of Fall - Rock Glen, Ontario

I stay at Rock Glen for about 2 weeks in the fall each year before heading to Texas for the winter. This year I went out almost every day to practice with my new 7D. Here are 2 photos that I would appreciate CC on. Thanks for stopping by!

Attached Files Image(s)

Life is good. Capture it!

I am not a fan of cotton wool water but like the steps image a lot. Want to get down there and see just whats around that corner.

I am not a big fan either. Just "needed" to try the technique. I prefer to see it as it is meant to be. I took many "as is" so I could hear the water flowing in my head as there is nothing more soothing. I took several of the steps and was working on composition. I had my sister out and was also helping her with composition and exposure. We had one of those "magical" days together...good memories. Thanks again for commenting, much appreciated.

(Dec 10, 2013, 04:35)Dean Wrote:  I am not a fan of cotton wool water...

Clicker, neither am I, but you have kept the effect under control here, retaining some structure so it still looks like water - many take it too far so the water becomes fog.

If they were mine, in both images I would want to alter the colour balance - autumn colours are to be expected, but the bias has gone too far towards the yellow tones for me.

Philip
Photo 

(Dec 10, 2013, 06:27)MrB Wrote:  
(Dec 10, 2013, 04:35)Dean Wrote:  I am not a fan of cotton wool water...

Clicker, neither am I, but you have kept the effect under control here, retaining some structure so it still looks like water - many take it too far so the water becomes fog.

If they were mine, in both images I would want to alter the colour balance - autumn colours are to be expected, but the bias has gone too far towards the yellow tones for me.

Philip

Thanks Philip. I have to agree on the 1st one...a bit (lot) overdone. I do like #2 as is. Not sure why, but I do. I have attached another one taken the same day..same spot. Let me know if it is better or still too much. I know it is each person's preferences but it is nice to know what others see and like. That is why I am posting here Smile Much appreciated! p.s. It is not quite sharp either, I was balancing it on my knee or a rock..not sure.

Attached Files Image(s)

Much better, for me. I like the little collection of leaves on left bottom corner. A bit of selective extra contrast on this area and the rocks centre right would be my thoughts.

Seems general agreement on "Water"! Latest one, personally, lighten it a bit, there is detail there. Ed.

Thanks Ed. Much appreciated. I will try that! Cheers!

(Dec 10, 2013, 07:38)Clicker2014 Wrote:  Thanks Philip... I have attached another one taken the same day..same spot. Let me know if it is better or still too much. I know it is each person's preferences but it is nice to know what others see and like. That is why I am posting here Smile Much appreciated!

I think the colour balance is probably about right for me in the latest one. As others have written, it could be a bit brighter in the shadow areas to bring out more detail. For realism, I would also reduce the saturation slightly and tweak the sharpness. E.g. -

Philip

I see it a bit brighter, but, Monitor, personal preferences,etc apply, you are the best "Judge" Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Dec 10, 2013, 15:48)EdMak Wrote:  I see it a bit brighter, but, Monitor, personal preferences,etc apply, you are the best "Judge" Ed.

You could be right, Ed. The problem we viewers also often have is not actually being present at the scene - I was assuming that it was located in fairly dense woodland but, as you have written, Clicker is the best one to judge.

Philip

(Dec 10, 2013, 15:57)MrB Wrote:  
(Dec 10, 2013, 15:48)EdMak Wrote:  I see it a bit brighter, but, Monitor, personal preferences,etc apply, you are the best "Judge" Ed.

You could be right, Ed. The problem we viewers also often have is not actually being present at the scene - I was assuming that it was located in fairly dense woodland but, as you have written, Clicker is the best one to judge.

Philip
It was a fairly dark woods, but it thinned out in the background with a rock cliff behind it. should have let you know that and I should have taken 2-3 exposures to compensate. I like the toned down one better. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Greatly appreciated.

(Dec 10, 2013, 04:13)Clicker2014 Wrote:  I stay at Rock Glen for about 2 weeks in the fall each year before heading to Texas for the winter. This year I went out almost every day to practice with my new 7D. Here are 2 photos that I would appreciate CC on. Thanks for stopping by!

2nd image draws me forward to the end of the stairs.

Yep I agree with the above. And nicely done how you composed the shot. That matters most. The rest will be on the back of the studio Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Thanks PhotoPlay. Much appreciated.

I'm a fan of the long shutter speed on water effect. "Cotton", you say? My plan is to go to the seaside and get a picture of the sea water - the longer the exposure, the better.

(Dec 17, 2013, 02:22)kNox Wrote:  I'm a fan of the long shutter speed on water effect. "Cotton", you say? My plan is to go to the seaside and get a picture of the sea water - the longer the exposure, the better.

And done properly they truly are beautiful pictures! I think the problem is that you have to know how far to push it in a particular scene...and lighting. I look forward to seeing your shots! Cheers!

I have only one photo like this. Apologies, but all of my photos are uploaded on 500px and I don't have many of them on my computer: http://500px.com/photo/16246939

As I said, I'm a huge fan of this effect Smile

(Dec 17, 2013, 05:50)kNox Wrote:  I have only one photo like this. Apologies, but all of my photos are uploaded on 500px and I don't have many of them on my computer: http://500px.com/photo/16246939

Wow! That is beautiful! Let me know when you do one of the ocean. I would love to see it too!

(Dec 17, 2013, 06:04)Clicker2014 Wrote:  
(Dec 17, 2013, 05:50)kNox Wrote:  I have only one photo like this. Apologies, but all of my photos are uploaded on 500px and I don't have many of them on my computer: http://500px.com/photo/16246939

Wow! That is beautiful! Let me know when you do one of the ocean. I would love to see it too!

also on 500px and like that effect with water but can go too far may be this one is

http://500px.com/photo/54281518

comments on this one would be welcome

Nice, I like it! I would love it even more if it weren't for the foam at the bottom, but it's a wonderful photo nonetheless.

(Dec 18, 2013, 02:34)kNox Wrote:  Nice, I like it! I would love it even more if it weren't for the foam at the bottom, but it's a wonderful photo nonetheless.

I agree with kNox. It is a beautiful picture, but the foam is just a bit distracting...but a great photo anyway!

Thanks for the comments I see what you mean about the foam

Geraint,

Foam or no foam, it's still a beautiful photograph.

Oh, welcome to the forum.

Phil.

(Dec 19, 2013, 11:36)Phil J Wrote:  Geraint,

Foam or no foam, it's still a beautiful photograph.

Oh, welcome to the forum.

Phil.
Thanks for the positive comment, just starting with a DSLR, a bir learning curve, so nice to get such a comment and thanks for the welcome

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Nov 10, 2016, 04:22
Last Post by WesMal
Apr 16, 2016, 15:41