Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Bridges & Overpasses

Here is a practicing digital photography challenge for our members. Take some time and shoot some photography this/next week of bridges and overpasses.

How unique of an image can you capture or create for this digital photography assignment?

Are you up to the challenge?

Please post some photos along with some info about your object and any other valuable info for the forum members!

Thanks for participating!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Here are two of my favorite bridges taken at "Gateway Park" in Yuma, Arizona, USA. Both images were taken with my Nikon D7100 and 18-200mm Nikon VR Zoom Lens.
The first was taken at 1/90 @ f/5.6 ISO 200 and 20mm.
The second was taken at 1/500 @ f/5.6 ISO 200 28mm.

Have you considered cloning out the figure in the bottom pic? Nice one. Ed.

Hi Photowalker,

Ditto to what Ed has just said. They are two cracking good shots.

Well Done.

Regards.

Phil.

Hello, yes I did, but I wanted to show relative size and make the bridges look even bigger. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

Fair comment, perhaps better if feet were included? Ed.

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate them. Take a look at this additional processing. I did the cloning. Is it better or worse. I'm on the fence and not sure! The bridges look big on their own without a person for comparison.

Attached Files Image(s)

Marlow Bridge

The suspension bridge crosses the River Thames at Marlow in Buckinghamshire, and was photographed at dusk yesterday (22/12/2013):-

Pentax K-5 set at ISO 3200, hand-held, using a 28-80 Sigma zoom lens at 63mm, f/8, 1/125s.

Philip

Photowalker, to me, far better cloned. I feel the background lacks a bit, here is what I see. Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Photowalker,

I like your first image of the twin bridges, as I agree with your initial thoughts that the figure adds to the sense of scale of the bridges, and I believe you were correct. However, Ed is also correct in noting that the person's feet should have been included within the frame. In addition I would suggest that even though it is not technically over-exposed, if it were mine I would reduce the mid-tones in processing, to enhance the natural appearance of the sky, the rocks and the vegetation, e.g.:

Ed has produced a nice vivid image, but it is more like some of the results seen from HDR processing, rather than a natural interpretation of the scene, which seemed to be what you were aiming for, in my view of your results.

Philip

(Dec 23, 2013, 11:39)MrB Wrote:  Photowalker,

I like your first image of the twin bridges, as I agree with your initial thoughts that the figure adds to the sense of scale of the bridges, and I believe you were correct. However, Ed is also correct in noting that the person's feet should have been included within the frame. In addition I would suggest that even though it is not technically over-exposed, if it were mine I would reduce the mid-tones in processing, to enhance the natural appearance of the sky, the rocks and the vegetation, e.g.:

Ed has produced a nice vivid image, but it is more like some of the results seen from HDR processing, rather than a natural interpretation of the scene, which seemed to be what you were aiming for, in my view of your results.

Philip
Thanks MrB and EdMak for your input. I can agree with both of you in some respects. First, EdMak's version is way to dark for my taste and the actual scene was very bright with the afternoon sun. Second was your retention of the girder and frame work under the bridges. I have to agree with MrB that it is to much like HDR for my taste and way to dark for my vision of what I saw. MrB's version is better I think, but still too dark and we lost the aluminum look of the car bridge on the left. I really like the modification of the feet into the picture. That really added weight to the figure. I'm not sure how you created them though. I think it is well done however you did it. In the end I think that I would darken the middle ground and sky and keep the brightness of the foreground. I will keep the feet in the images in the future.
This has really been a great exchange of thoughts and visions. I feel really good about the input and suggestions. It is really great working with you two. Keep up the great work guys.
P.S. MrB, how did you lenghten the frame and add the feet? I have other images, with the feet, and they look the same as yours.

Photowalker,

Firstly, any chance of signing your usual first name at the end of your posts - using forum names feels awkward to me!?

Secondly, how you edit for the feet will depend on the software you use - mine is PaintShop Pro X4 - and there are probably several methods anyway, even with the same software.
I made a new blank image that was the same width as your first posted twin-bridge image, but slightly taller.
I then copied your image and pasted it up to the top of the new blank image, to leave empty space at the bottom for her feet (and, of course, more of the river bank).
I then made use of the clone brush to copy and paint random parts of the river bank, around where she is standing, into the space at the bottom to fill it up.
Finally, I changed the the clone brush to be quite a small size, first to copy and paint her trousers to make them a bit longer, then to copy and paint the blue of her top into a shape to resemble her right shoe.

Hope that makes sense and helps. Smile

Philip

(Dec 23, 2013, 15:00)MrB Wrote:  Photowalker,

Firstly, any chance of signing your usual first name at the end of your posts - using forum names feels awkward to me!?

Secondly, how you edit for the feet will depend on the software you use - mine is PaintShop Pro X4 - and there are probably several methods anyway, even with the same software.
I made a new blank image that was the same width as your first posted twin-bridge image, but slightly taller.
I then copied your image and pasted it up to the top of the new blank image, to leave empty space at the bottom for her feet (and, of course, more of the river bank).
I then made use of the clone brush to copy and paint random parts of the river bank, around where she is standing, into the space at the bottom to fill it up.
Finally, I changed the the clone brush to be quite a small size, first to copy and paint her trousers to make them a bit longer, then to copy and paint the blue of her top into a shape to resemble her right shoe.

Hope that makes sense and helps. Smile

Philip
That makes sense. I can do that. Thanks for the information I appreciate it.
Hal

Here's an old heritage bridge over a creek flowing out to the southern shore of Lake Huron.

Attached Files Image(s)

Lamp on Marlow Bridge

Photographed this evening (29/12/13) after sunset, with Marlow Church in the background, using a Pentax K-5II at ISO 3200, with 18-135 zoom lens at 135mm.

f/8, 1/400s, EV -2.

f/8, 1/200s, EV -1.

In-camera Noise Reduction set to Medium. Minimal post-processing done in PaintShop Pro X4.

Philip

Vicksburg

[Image: 8020174046_46307fc2a7_b.jpg]

(Dec 30, 2013, 23:09)NickPPrime Wrote:  Vicksburg

[Image: 8020174046_46307fc2a7_b.jpg]
Nick, I like it. Great image. Love the flag. Keep up the good work. Hal

A favourite subject of mine, found hidden and forgotten off a country road.

[attachment=2869]

Attached Files Image(s)

Marlow Bridge

Two shots of the bridge over the River Thames at Marlow in Buckinghamshire, taken on a sunny spring day in March (2014) using a Pentax K-5 II with a 20-40mm zoom lens:

[26mm, f/16, 1/125s, ISO 160]

[20mm, f/16, 1/80s, ISO 160]

Cheers.
Philip

Picture postcards. Ed.

To each his own!

Yes indeed Ed, picture postcards. Philip has done a magnificent job on these images.

Cheers.

Phil.

Thank you Ed and Phil - it's pleasing that my postcards have also got your stamp of approval. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Not only are they both first class in terms of composition and quality, but, their horizons are level as well. Which leads me to believe you've been mucking about with spirit levels and plumb lines as well as taking photos. !! Smile

Best regards.

Phil.

Long Horse Bridge
River Trent, Derbyshire

[Image: LongHorseBridge_zps45bd6f7d.jpg]

He who has come through the fire will not fade in the sun

Crossing the Ohio River into Kentucky.

Attached Files Image(s)